SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this car http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ro&searchRadius=100&listingId=320467086&Log=0

What do you think of $17,700? Dealer said the tread on the tires is really good and looks like they have been replaced. They are Michelins. Is that what they came with from the factory?

Also it looks like Saab is opening up a parts plant right here in Michigan, which sounds like awesome news. Do you think it will bring the prices up a little bit?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not a bad deal, especially now that they're opening a parts plant in Michigan. Though I'm not sure if that will affect the used car values. The Michellins are not the stock, which has always been perelli's I believe.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Aero with the 4 cylinder is a great car. Parts are not a problem and a long term a better motor to have than the 6. Could not get the Aero in a 4 before 2010 I believe.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also it looks like Saab is opening up a parts plant right here in Michigan, which sounds like awesome news. Do you think it will bring the prices up a little bit?
I wouldn't think so. The company that makes and sells cars is in the gutter, which is the main influence on used value. Anyways this car looks like a good deal for a 2010 with low mileage. Last summer my dad bought himself a 2007 2.0T with just under 60,000km for $15,500CAD.
I hate those rims though :p, and I can't believe they dropped the trunk spoiler.

Could not get the Aero in a 4 before 2010 I believe.
2003-05 was a 4cyl Aero. 2006 brought the V6's.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been trying to find the 2010 so I can get the aero looks with the 2.0 engine. This is the cheapest one in the country by a few thousand dollars that I could find. Everyone else wants $22,000-$30,000.

Any options for a lip spoiler for the trunk? It looks like the turbo x one is $325, plus shipping, plus paint, which is more than I want to spend. Will this one fit a 2010? It says 2003-2008, but isn't the 2008 the same as a 2010?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-9-3-Se...ke:Saab|Model:9-3&hash=item2a11c84df1&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
That's not a bad deal. Keep in mind you have no factory warranty. Did you have them pull the CarFax?

And those are probably the original oem Michelins which wear like concrete so you should have plenty of miles left on them.

You are also correct as the Aero dropped the V6 for the MY '10 on the SS. Also looks like you might have the HID BiXenon's which are adaptive (turning)--quite cool!

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you're looking for a rear spoiler (carbon fibre) have a look at thread below -- $220 shipped in USA apparently. 'Beotch' has pictures in his post.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230641.

Buy it. Tune it with VTuner's initial stage for $800-ish (transforms). Do a drain 'n fill on the autotrans fluid (as part of a yearly routine).

[I would lower it too...but that's me; also gun-metal those rims, indeed all the chrome...duplicolour or even plastidip]

And enjoy!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're looking for a rear spoiler (carbon fibre) have a look at thread below -- $220 shipped in USA apparently. 'Beotch' has pictures in his post.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230641.

Buy it. Tune it with VTuner's initial stage for $800-ish (transforms). Do a drain 'n fill on the autotrans fluid (as part of a yearly routine).

[I would lower it too...but that's me; also gun-metal those rims, indeed all the chrome...duplicolour or even plastidip]

And enjoy!
We couldn't be any more opposite lol.

All I want is something that looks like the turbo x spoiler but is painted. Not a fan of the carbon fiber. It doesn't look like the ebay one will work. The 2007 and older have the emblem sitting lower than the 2008+. Bummer because that was only $120 shipped. I like the silver contrast on the car. It makes it stand out as an aero a little more.

Not interested in tuning. I got rid of a 2011 Taurus SHO that was tuned in January. The tuning on that car made a huge difference. The tune brings those cars from a 13.9 to a 13.0 in the 1/4 (on average). I had my fun with a fast car then so I am keeping this car stock. I just want a semi luxury/sporty car that gets 30+ mpg on the highway. Tuning means I have to fill it with premium gas. I would like the flexibility of using mid grade or regular if needed.

Lowering is just not my thing at all.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's not a bad deal. Keep in mind you have no factory warranty. Did you have them pull the CarFax?

And those are probably the original oem Michelins which wear like concrete so you should have plenty of miles left on them.

You are also correct as the Aero dropped the V6 for the MY '10 on the SS. Also looks like you might have the HID BiXenon's which are adaptive (turning)--quite cool!
2011's have no warranty. The 2010's still have a factory warranty if you can get it done. The local Saab dealership is what told me this. I am assuming I will be paying any and all costs out of my pocket so i'm not too concerned. The parts plant opening up in Michigan makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
707 Posts
"Not interested in tuning."

Respect your position -- and indeed we are different kettles it seems :). But the tune, especially on the 4 cyl with automatic, transforms for the better. No significant drop in MPG. I regularly drive a 2009 2.0T automatic (not Aero) Maptuned to the 1st stage, software only (with 15mm spacers all round too, not lowered---yet) and it's getting the kind of mileage you're looking for [avg. 8.5 +/- L/per 100km city/hwy]. On those few occasions its been de-tuned (and the Dealer, such that is, doesn't even care any more for such a moderate number boost -- to 250-ish HP and maybe 270 lbs Torque; Vtune 10 points better on each variable).

Those first stage tunes (software, whether Maptun, Vtune ...) will not turn your Saab into any kind of 1/4 mile King but will add immensely to your driving pleasure without sacrifice. You really deserve to experience the stock/tuned difference in these cars. You're more than welcome to feel that seat-of-pants if you're ever up in these parts ;ol;

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
2011's have no warranty. The 2010's still have a factory warranty if you can get it done. The local Saab dealership is what told me this. I am assuming I will be paying any and all costs out of my pocket so i'm not too concerned. The parts plant opening up in Michigan makes me feel a little better.
Only '07-08's have their GM powertrain left. MY 08-10 sold before March 2010 under GM ownership have warranty but that's it.

My '09 was bought in 8-10 so I have no warranty.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Not interested in tuning."

Respect your position -- and indeed we are different kettles it seems :). But the tune, especially on the 4 cyl with automatic, transforms for the better. No significant drop in MPG. I regularly drive a 2009 2.0T automatic (not Aero) Maptuned to the 1st stage, software only (with 15mm spacers all round too, not lowered---yet) and it's getting the kind of mileage you're looking for [avg. 8.5 +/- L/per 100km city/hwy]. On those few occasions its been de-tuned (and the Dealer, such that is, doesn't even care any more for such a moderate number boost -- to 250-ish HP and maybe 270 lbs Torque; Vtune 10 points better on each variable).

Those first stage tunes (software, whether Maptun, Vtune ...) will not turn your Saab into any kind of 1/4 mile King but will add immensely to your driving pleasure without sacrifice. You really deserve to experience the stock/tuned difference in these cars. You're more than welcome to feel that seat-of-pants if you're ever up in these parts ;ol;
Thanks for the offer. I know tuning will probably wake the car up quite a bit, but it's just not what I want with it right now. Maybe in the future though if I get bored with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Buy a car that they still make. I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy another Saab knowing parts are going to be harder and harder to get. Im planning on getting a new car in 6 months and since you are just buying one it looks like your going to keep it longer then 6 months.

Edit

Parts plant? So your saying they will be making parts that we are starting to not be able to get and are becoming expensive? I can get a new 9-3 or 9-5? This is awesome news if this is true. I want another Saab but the parts thing got me scared but if this is the case then next car is a new 9-5.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy a car that they still make. I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy another Saab knowing parts are going to be harder and harder to get. Im planning on getting a new car in 6 months and since you are just buying one it looks like your going to keep it longer then 6 months.

Edit

Parts plant? So your saying they will be making parts that we are starting to not be able to get and are becoming expensive? I can get a new 9-3 or 9-5? This is awesome news if this is true. I want another Saab but the parts thing got me scared but if this is the case then next car is a new 9-5.
That's what it sounds like. They mentioned body parts plus a lot more. I am hoping this helps the values out a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Some opinion:

- I don't think SAAB parts will be a problem. There are hundreds of thousands of SAABs in North America alone and tons more over in Europe. I'm not worried about parts availability, because there is still a lot of money to be made and lots of people realize this. Heck, they're still making parts for the 9000, even amidst all these financial issues.

- I love my 9-3 and wouldn't trade it for anything else and I think you'd really enjoy one.

- I change my auto trans fluid out every 15,000 miles, which is more than enough. Very important if you're running a tune on an auto!!!

Some clarification:

- If you bought your car after the sale of SAAB to Spyker (Feb 23 2010), then your car was purchased without a warranty, even if your car is a 2009 (like Cosmicflash stated). If it was purchased before Feb 23 2010, then GM is honoring your warranty.

- Spoiler. I have exhaustively searched for a solution pertaining to a spoiler that fits '08 and up. I created a separate post for you that discusses spoiler options, please see link here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234493

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They sold the car yesterday unfortunately. I had them down to $17,700, but they had it on ebay with a buy it now for $18,800 and it sold. I was going to drive the 3.5 hours tomorrow to pick it up. The next lowest one is in Raleigh NC and when I called the guy said they are not budging on price at all. They want $almost $21,000 for it, but it has lower miles. I'm trying to stay less than $18,000.

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
They sold the car yesterday unfortunately. I had them down to $17,700, but they had it on ebay with a buy it now for $18,800 and it sold. I was going to drive the 3.5 hours tomorrow to pick it up. The next lowest one is in Raleigh NC and when I called the guy said they are not budging on price at all. They want $almost $21,000 for it, but it has lower miles. I'm trying to stay less than $18,000.

I would follow up and make sure the car was actually sold, you never know with eBay. Who knows, you might get a second chance.

At least now you know what the market is like and what kind of price to jump at!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts