SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's car needs new tires. I am looking for comfort, good handling in all kinds of weather, low noise, and good wear. High-speed performance is not that important, she doesn't drive aggressively or too fast. We live in Michigan so the weather is all over the map.

Looking at Tire Rack, the Firestone Precision Touring tire gets good reviews, but no Saab owners. I was looking at Conti DWS for my '08 9-3 sedan, but they are out of stock, and for her car, safety / comfort is more important than sporty hadnling. Anything to consider ?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I just put the continental dws on my wifes 08 9-3 and they are awesome. We bought them over a month ago when discount ran a $100 rebate and a free nook tablet. I also got them down $10 a tire as well. I am also from Michigan.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My wife's car needs new tires. I am looking for comfort, good handling in all kinds of weather, low noise, and good wear. High-speed performance is not that important, she doesn't drive aggressively or too fast. We live in Michigan so the weather is all over the map.
No such tire exist. There are tires that do all of the above except are not good in all kinds of weather, particularly snow.

Consider some all-seasons, like many models that other posters mention, and then some winter tires. Having 2 sets of tires is not that wasteful because using winter tires will extend the life of the other tires. However, it may cost $500 to buy 4 separate wheels.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

Looking at Tire Rack, the Firestone Precision Touring tire gets good reviews, but no Saab owners. I was looking at Conti DWS for my '08 9-3 sedan, but they are out of stock, and for her car, safety / comfort is more important than sporty hadnling. Anything to consider ?
Try Belle Tire in Michigan or Discount Tire. I too wouid hold out for DWS

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've been very happy with the Michelin MXM4 XSEs that came OEM on my 2008 Aero SC. They have performed well in dry, wet, and snow. Mine are 17" - 225-50 / R17. Yours would likely be 16".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks for all the replies.

Discount Tire had Conti DWS in stock and after just a bit of haggling I had them installed at $90 over what the delivered cost of Tire Rack would be (and TR is still out of stock). Figuring in the labor, I think it's a fairly good price for buying locally, especially since they provide free rotation & balancing.

No opinion on them yet... will have one in a few days. :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Though you've made your choice...

In the last month + I replaced my Pirelli P Zero Neros on Turbo X with General AS-03 Ultra High Performance All Season. And they are absolutely phenomenal!

A few dollars cheaper than Continental DWS (Parent manufacturer as it turns out). That tire was going to cost $50 a corner more here in the Great White North...and I was looking at a wait time I didn't have luxury of (nail through P Zero). [Canadian Tire had them in 235/45/18 at $170 per corner...Michelin Pilots in same size were going to be nearly x2].

So I took a chance [Tire Rack rating of 8.3 vs. 8.4 on DWS]. I know 2 other members of the Saab Club of Canada who have followed my lead and are as hooked as I am. Low tire noise, phenomenal grip, better ride than stock (have them at 38 psi all round).

Have a GF with a 2009 9-3 SS 2.0T FWD Automatic/Maptuned w 70,000 Km on Pirelli P6s that have perhaps a season left in them. Guess what I'm going to insist she replace with...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought Continental ContiPro Contact. I do a lot of hard stop and go driving and had the tires for almost a year now. I will have to replace them by winter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought Continental ContiPro Contact. I do a lot of hard stop and go driving and had the tires for almost a year now. I will have to replace them by winter.
Conti Pro's have poor reviews on Tire Rack. Even though they were somewhat more expensive than Conti DWS. The DWS has the best reviews of all Continental tires on most sites that I've looked at. Still get some users with bad experiences, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts