SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I did some searches on "debadging", "debadge", and "logo replacement" and got to some good threads, but nothing to really outline how to debadge.

I so far have read threads on taking off the actualy SAAB griffin badge from the front, which I don't want. I just want to take off the "93" and "2.0T" silver letters from the back, to only leave the saab badge.

I have read to use a blowdryer, but I don't have a cordless one, or a way to get my car into the bathroom :lol:. Could hot water work?

And what about the dental floss? Take it along the back? To "cut off" the letters?

And the residue, threads said to "wax it off". With just regular wax? Wax over it, then take it off? Can someone please explain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've used a blow-dryer in the past to heat the glue that holds them on but it sounds like you cannot use one - maybe a friend or neighbor with an extension cord?

If not, you can try letting it sit in the sun so they get warmed up. Dental floss of fishing line will work albeit I was always able to get them off with my fingers after heating them although be careful when starting to take them off to avoid scratching.

And you can use WD-40 to remove the leftover glue but clean it off with soap & water before waxing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've always used hot water and an expired bank card to "scrape" them off. You can use WD-40, or white spirits, or T-cut/cutting polish to remove the glue residue. I personally suggest a cutting polish (I'd recommend Meguiars Scratch-X) so that it blends the colour in, so you don't have faded paint around a factory finish 2.0t ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
anyone got any pictures of a debadged steel grey 9-3?
i'm also considering this 'mod'

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is steel grey as well. Or dark metalic grey, whatever :p.

I like the look on cars with only the center badge, but don't want discoloration or scratches! That's why I want to make sure I am doing it right.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Dental floss to "saw" under the emblems to cut thru the foam adhesive. Then Goo-Gone to remove the sticky stuff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just twisted the emblems on a hot day and they came right off. I rubbed off most of the adhesive with my finger, then used goo gone to get rid of the rest. Looks great!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the pictures! Looks great :). Is that a Porsche turbo logo??? :cool:

I will try the blowdryer with an extension cord on sunday and post how it goes!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
yessir. i was actually driving home from college the other day and went a few miles next to a nice carerra .. he had the same badge, i felt cool :)

nah but seriously i thought it was a neat badge.. i think the car looked great with just the saab emblem, i'm sure you will agree. good luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
wtfwill said:
i've always used a blowdryer + dental floss, then a razor blade and windex to carefully remove the rest.

here's some pictures:

I hate to break it to you, but anyone who'd bother to look at and appreciate your SAAB is going to know you pulled that "turbo" emblem off a Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

See photo below:

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/08/cayennet08_05.jpg

You might as well put the raised Mercedes three-pronged star on the front of your 9-3, to complement the Porsche logo on the back. Glue four interlocking rings on the grille, and you're all set to go!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dr. Sandman,

That was a bit mean to say, and I didn't like it in here, because it really has nothing to do with my original topic. So if you could apologize to wtfwill that would be nice because he was just showing me what he did with his car to show me how it looks without the emblems.

It's also people's personal opinions on what looks good on their cars that shouldn't be criticised. I think the turbo badge looks good and you don't, but that doesn't mean you should tear him a new one :confused:.

Anyways,

Looks like I will be buying some goo be gone to get rid of any extra adhesive, and take some pictures of the result!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dustin_D said:
Dr. Sandman,

That was a bit mean to say, and I didn't like it in here, because it really has nothing to do with my original topic. So if you could apologize to wtfwill that would be nice because he was just showing me what he did with his car to show me how it looks without the emblems.

It's also people's personal opinions on what looks good on their cars that shouldn't be criticised. I think the turbo badge looks good and you don't, but that doesn't mean you should tear him a new one :confused:.

Anyways,

Looks like I will be buying some goo be gone to get rid of any extra adhesive, and take some pictures of the result!
I agree. Everyone has their own style. No need to flame the guy. We are ALL on the same team, right?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Saturn Sky Redline has a "TURBO" badge on the right rear bumper...wonder how that would look vice the Porsche Turbo badge?

·
Registered
407 Posts
when i took off the emblems on my car...i just waited to do it after work...when my car had been sitting under the sun for almomst half the day. it was easy to take off, but it was a pain in the *** trying to get the excess adhesive off. i used up pretty much half a bottle of goo gone...and a lot of arm strength.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I placed a heat lamp near mine, Slowly peeled them off and used Zymol cleaner wax to remove the remainder, The cleaner wax has a light abrasive. I then re waxed the area.

If you were to look real close you can see scratches in the paint where at soem point the hard part of the letters must have touched. From 3 feet away you can't tell.

I like it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts