SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 93 se with 120,000 miles on it. I changed my oil about 1,000 miles ago and I had to top her off this morning. The oil was down below the low mark on the dipstick. There's no signs of leaking anywhere, and I don't see any blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe so I don't think its burning it away.

I have the PCV upgrade and change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I hope its nothing to serious. Any sort of input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
What kind of motor oil are you using? If you are using full synthetic oil, I don't think you will see any smoke. At least, when I ran Klotz synthetic oil in my '74 Kawasaki H1 500 I didn't see any smoke (and that was in '74)... Ron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My last fill up I used castrol gtx full synthetic 5w 30. But I usually us Mobile 1. This has never happened when I used Mobil 1.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Peruse Bkrell's oil FAQ, a never ending saga.
Some variables here..
The checking method..
The fill quantity.
Keep up the good monitoring.:cheesy:

·
Registered
543 Posts
What are you using for make-up oil?

Isn't GTX their non-syn, & Syntec is their full syn??

Either way, try adding Mobil 1 15W-50 as make-up oil & see is that slows the consumption down.

-Greg

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Was the car level? Was it hot? did you put the dipstick down all the way? Such things have thrown me off and running panicked to SC:)
-Cm

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it was syntec, sorry. I used the same oil for make up.

The car was on level ground in my garage and I let the car cool down.

I looked at my coolant tank today and it looked a little brownish.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
One quart in 1,000 miles ?
If the head gasket was blown and allowed the oil into the coolant reservoir, the amount might cause the coolant to over flow...
This is not likely.
Keep monitoring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I haven't responded in a while. It hasn't gone down since topping of the oil, but I'm still keeping a close eye on it.

When I turn my key to the on position all of the lights on the instrument cluster turn off except for the oil and battery light. When I turn the car on they go away, probably nothing to worry about but I just want to make sure nothings wrong.

This might be unrelated to the oil thing, but my temp gauge acts very strange. When I'm driving on the highway the temp goes down, but in stop and go traffic it climbs back up to the middle.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
thanks for the reply. How much do those go for? And how hard is it to replace?
They are cheap (make sure you get a new gasket too) from eeuroparts. And not hard to replace either. The thermostat housing is located towards the back, upper, right of your engine. You'll need to remove your intake pipe before the throttle body (easy) to remove the housing. If you search around a little you will find a step-by-step with pictures on a Saab fan-site (I would search here for thermostat and I'm sure you'll find it). Good luck!

EDIT: Here's the t-stat: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=30577561

1 - 12 of 12 Posts