SaabCentral Forums banner

going going ?

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  garry 
#1 ·
gone!..........,.

Little Garry is selling the 99S, just thourgt you all should know as you all helped to restore it! .......
plus, im selling my own SAAB in the summer.

Not sure what car I want myself..... I really want a smaller car which in the case of SAAB means a 96..... Not sure I want to make that jump though.

anyway.....,.
its in the classifieds.

#8 ·
Yup......

Anyway, he's young and talked out of the 99 and into the VW idea by his jealous pals no doubt.

He is under the asumption that a 99 is a very heavy car but in fact its lighter than a WRX....... Shame he never got the opportunty to drive it with the Twin Bing 40 carb's we were developing., which could have seen the 99 up to 150brake.
However, im just as happy that its for sale as the golf has less immidiate tuning potential without spending a lot of dosh. Its going to take quite a bit of work to get the Golf over 100bhp, but it will be nimble and safe .

Slower = Safe.

#10 · (Edited)
he has the carbs and manifold at his work.

Last time I saw them they seemed to have taken a very slap dash route on connecting the carbs to the manifold, very poor attempt with old pipes and sections of radiator hose.
I left the carb job in the hands of his boss, but, his boss aparrently has no time for SAAB's.......and, just happens to drive a VW:roll: (which should shed some aditional light on the dicision to ditch the 99).
The carbs themselves are in superb condition and simply require a proper adaptor plate to fit the manifold (simple job for a mechanic:evil: then hooked up to the throttle and fuel line, bit of tweaking then its done, very simple to balance.

I should have never allowed the project to fall into a 3rd pary's hands, it puts me in a bad situation as I can't really speak out.

All the jigsaw's there, simply needs someone to put it all together.

#13 ·
Naranto said:
?

Mk1 is OK, but how many head turn:

a) with a Golf
b)with the 99

Answers on a postcard please....
I'd say both. Both the 99 and the Rabbit are pretty hard to find in the US, especially the 99. I've seen a Rabbit in person at least once or twice (my cousin in Washington has one and he even let me ride in it), but never have I seen a 99 in person.

#18 ·
garry said:
d) easy to fix :roll:

Should keep him happy and alive !
There are definitely some aspects of maintaining a Mini which are nearly impossible as you just cannot get a spanner into the gaps, plus there is always the bonnet catch for the back of the head.

Also, if I were choosing a car in which I really didn't want to be hit in, it would have to be a Mini.

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah, odd handle. Dont think ive seen it anywhere on SC.

Did get one SaabCentral member bidding though! ... I tracked him down with my detective skills.

He is from Kent., so, its heading your way Nutcase. (souf)

Went for a fair price I guess considering all the sweat thats gone into it. Its the perfect project in many ways as its going to take very little effort or money to turn it into one amazing machine.....as I have done all the hard work :p.
If it diddnt reach its reserve I was going to offer the kid the reserve price (as he needs it to put his mini on the road) and sell the T16S and .....wait for it, ....wait for it......... The rover 100 I happen to be driving at the moment would have been for sale.

Got the Metro as a temp car until I sell the T16S as we were looking to buy a small and very economical car that feels like a big car.... = Scoda Felicia.
If SAAB made something like a Scoda Felicia or indeed a Merc A class then I would be in the market for it. Getting sick of speed camera's, fuel prices etc. No fun any more.... Just want a fly by wire shopping trolly now.

Thing is, I reallly like the Metro :eek: ....and its a Diesel :eek: it handles better than my old 97 900S Talledega !!!. Wow, driving a Metro certainly illuminates the differance between the old and new SAAB 900's.

As for the 99,.....well. The grass is always greener on the other side and to be honest im glad it seems to be going to someone who will appreciate it.

We appear to be back at square one now with the rotten mini he seems to have agreed to buy,...... Kids eh!

Last pics taken/compiled by me of the 99S to be found here

#23 · (Edited)
The ebay winner came but diddnt buy... I think he was after something a bit more perfect. Like a mint 99 Turbo for example.

prior bidders were nowhere near the reserve.

We did have an interested viewer from Glasgow, but again the car was not quite right (young buyer, the car was probably too much to take on in the end as the buyer already had a SAAB and it was going to cost too much to insure two. Really liked the car though!)

Im waiting for a reply from another past enquirer.....failing that its back onto E-bay.

#24 ·
NA Saab 99 and c900 don't seem to be fetching much on eBay at the moment. I know this first hand as I got a very good example very cheaply :cheesy: Considering this car's got the potential to last at least another five years, I really can't think of any car you could buy which is better value for money!

While I was hunting I saw a very nice looking c900 GLS 4-door fail to even get a bid when started at £280. Plus another c900 1979 failed to get a bid. not sure what's going on really, because I used to see them exceed £500 regularly.

Have you advertised it on SOC's website? I know the adverts page seems a bit unreliable at the moment though :confused:

#25 ·
What the SOC ? :cheesy: .....nope, never thought of the SOC.... I may give that a go, I always used SC for everything as it apeared to be a much more active place.

Yeh, the car should hit £500 easy just for the shell !, we set our start bid at £450 which was met straight away.

2 sets of alloys (inca/minilight)
Mint turbo interior
sports springs
quad spots
spare engine bits
twin carbs, strombergs AND the more throaty Bings
inertia reel seat belts :cheesy:

damn the cars got be worth a ton it for the parts alone.

hey ho, we'll see what happens next

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.