SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a silver 9-3 aero 6 speed, awesome car already, but coming from the DSM world to saabs, was hard but now im starting to see the light. I custom made an intercooler full metal kit 2.75" and full metal CAI 3.25" Then added GS downpipe and midpipe, wrapped both DEI.
If that didn't stop me I added Wideband and boost gauge.
Then onto brakes
Brembo drilled and slotted with ceramics all around and painted the calipers. painted the wheels with plastidip (after scubbing the heck out of the them clean) ;ol;
Then got JZW stage 3 tune.
took it out last night all I can say is wow. pulls hard all the way.

My fully built AWD DSM was awesome launching, but had trouble with highway pulls dang awd loss...
DSM's have potential but you always hit a wall with something breaking.
Tranny, motor, axles. All in which I had to spend quite a bit of money being built.
DSM's are deff garage queens.

The saab 2.8T has so much potential, too bad they didn't make more AWD or Turbo X with 2.8T. But for the price you cant beat finding a low mileage saab 2.8t FWD.

So from here on Im hoping to see more people doing motor builds with 2.8T. I know there is one guy MICKE who has built one. But there has to be more!? I want to see that Holset 35/40 blowing 10sec traps.

Some pics of the bolt on I added

·
Super Moderator
19,061 Posts
Looks nice. I thought you had a black Aero?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did I sold it. It had 96k miles on it. So I picked up this one
with alot less miles. I know its winter but do you know of any saabs 9 3
locally? Maybe meets in spring?

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I bought a silver 9-3 aero 6 speed, awesome car already, but coming from the DSM world to saabs, was hard but now im starting to see the light. I custom made an intercooler full metal kit 2.75" and full metal CAI 3.25" Then added GS downpipe and midpipe, wrapped both DEI.
If that didn't stop me I added Wideband and boost gauge.
Then onto brakes
Brembo drilled and slotted with ceramics all around and painted the calipers. painted the wheels with plastidip (after scubbing the heck out of the them clean) ;ol;
Then got JZW stage 3 tune.
took it out last night all I can say is wow. pulls hard all the way.

My fully built AWD DSM was awesome launching, but had trouble with highway pulls dang awd loss...
DSM's have potential but you always hit a wall with something breaking.
Tranny, motor, axles. All in which I had to spend quite a bit of money being built.
DSM's are deff garage queens.

The saab 2.8T has so much potential, too bad they didn't make more AWD or Turbo X with 2.8T. But for the price you cant beat finding a low mileage saab 2.8t FWD.

So from here on Im hoping to see more people doing motor builds with 2.8T. I know there is one guy MICKE who has built one. But there has to be more!? I want to see that Holset 35/40 blowing 10sec traps.

Some pics of the bolt on I added
Looks good man! I found it funny how you cut away the front bumper for the fmic, a good buddy of mine has a fully built awd tsi and did the same thing to his bumper.. and told me to do that on mine when I get a fmic.. you dsm guys! :cheesy: Glad to hear you're impressed with the 2.8 even after having a quick dsm! Care to post some pics of yours? Here are some photos of my buddy's tsi

2.3 fully built stroker with an hx35 (would be nice to see some hx's in saabs hey?)

·
Super Moderator
19,061 Posts
I did I sold it. It had 96k miles on it. So I picked up this one
with alot less miles. I know its winter but do you know of any saabs 9 3
locally? Maybe meets in spring?
None that I am aware of. I think there's a big one in Ohio each year.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey there, I also came from DSM world. Unlike you, I had a FWD, and it had to be the most reliable car I've owned. I am in the opposite situation going from a FWD to XWD.
I have a SC TX, with some mods:
EBC rotors/pads
Maptun coilovers
15mm spacers
GS front torque mount
GS catless downpipe ceramic coated
GS midpipe ceramic coated
Aluminum intake piping
Aluminum intercooler piping
ETS intercooler
19t turbo upgrade
Spec stage 3+ clutch (not working, but maybe we'll be able to get this resolved, otherwise a stock brand new unit is going in)
Vtune stage 1
Blown engine (the new one is already in)
All I still need is the injectors upgrade and a tune, and that will be it.
I also have an AEM Wideband/Boost gauge to go in, the bung and the sensor is already installed. I'll be wiring it in once I get my car back.
How did you wire it in?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wired the wideband/ boost gauge power from a source in the radio.
A simple volt meter will get you to where you need to be. Ground was used on frame.
The hardest part was running the damn wires to fit thru the firewall.
that was a pain in the a**.

Wow what went wrong with your motor? I have a few questions
how many miles were on it?
Did you find out if it was tuned wrong?
Did you tear into it and see what failed?

Just curious thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
I wired the wideband/ boost gauge power from a source in the radio.
A simple volt meter will get you to where you need to be. Ground was used on frame.
The hardest part was running the damn wires to fit thru the firewall.
that was a pain in the a**.

Wow what went wrong with your motor? I have a few questions
how many miles were on it?
Did you find out if it was tuned wrong?
Did you tear into it and see what failed?

Just curious thanks
I lost compression on cylinder #2, 60K miles. I still don't know what happened, I'll tear into the original motor once I get my car and the old motor back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too bad you didnt invest that money for a built motor instead of getting another stocker.
a built TX would be a first..as far as I know

·
Registered
862 Posts
Too bad you didnt invest that money for a built motor instead of getting another stocker.
a built TX would be a first..as far as I know
I still have the old motor, if the damage is contained to the valve or something minor, I maybe building it up in a year or so.
We'll see how things work out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of my dsm.

Fully built 6 bolt 2.1 motor wesco pistons eagle rods clevite 77
arp throughout, cometic mls. Supertech vavletrain +1mm
ported intake manifold 60mm tb
tubular headers wrapped
s366 borg warner
1000cc injectors
255lpm walbro
3" turbo back
custom fmic
built awd tranny
southbend kevlar clutch.
Coilovers

Enkei RPF1 wheels

·
Registered
862 Posts
What are you suing for management link, haltech?
That's sexy, I had a 1GB like the previous poster, although different colour. Brings back some good memories. I've been DSMless for over 5 years now, 2 of the previous years she was sitting in the garage. I'd say a typical DSM owner. My wife had finally influenced me to get rid of it and that was the end of it. Funny enough, the only reason I am driving a TurboX is because of someone on a DSM board suggested one to me. I don't know if I should be cursing that day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dsmlink v3 the best tuning for dsmers. Price and capabilites.
Nice I had a 1gb as well back in college. Love the look but then upgraded to a 2gb. Dang 7 bolts. Never dyno'd her but my tuning software said I had 557hp. It was fun and fast. The one picture in my garage has the fully built motor on the engine stand before I installed it.
I also had to sell after I had gone thru another transmission. Left my guts out on the track after my 3rd pass. Got a 10.2 1/4 best on street tires. The wife said whats the use if its always breaking lol It then hit me...I just need a fun DD. And eventually get another racecar for the weekends. Hence saab aero came up.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
What are you suing for management link, haltech?
That's sexy, I had a 1GB like the previous poster, although different colour. Brings back some good memories. I've been DSMless for over 5 years now, 2 of the previous years she was sitting in the garage. I'd say a typical DSM owner. My wife had finally influenced me to get rid of it and that was the end of it. Funny enough, the only reason I am driving a TurboX is because of someone on a DSM board suggested one to me. I don't know if I should be cursing that day.
Hahahaaaa, it wasn't me who suggested it was it? (DSM Canada board).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Since were posting DSM pics and old dsm owner. Here are mine i had hehe

94 TSI FWD 382whp/390WTQ, pretty fast and useless being Fwd except on the highway

And the last one I had 95 GS-T with 97+front

·
Registered
163 Posts
Man, I miss my DSMs. They were the most reliable cars that I've owned- I could always count on them breaking within two weeks of fixing another problem. One was a fairly mild '92 Talon TSi AWD and the other was a ridiculous '91 GSX that I bought off of some dumb kid's parents (they were pretty much giving him all this money to modify the car and he kept getting in trouble driving it). Fully built stroker motor, massive Precision turbo, welded center diff (what a pain in the *** for a street car!). Had no problem breaking all four tires loose... it was pretty scary honestly. Only lasted a little over a month until there was some kind of fueling issue which made the rods decide they no longer wanted to live within the confines of the engine. I ended up making way more money parting the car out than I paid for it, so no big loss. I probably would have died in that thing anyways.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh ya ive done my fair share of parting on dsmtuners. Almost made a business out of it. Awesome glad to see more people sharing there dsm cars! Would be great to see some more of these big companies offering forged internals and turbo kits. Not having to get it custom made

1 - 20 of 22 Posts