SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got my first saab last week.:D super excited. the guy i got it from said the oil light an an warning light were cause the the flex pump was throwing off sensors or something so i had it replaced. $100 later the light still comes on. it only comes on when the engine has warmed up an only when it is at idle speeds. (like pushing in the clutch ect. goes away after like 1600 rpm.)
I dont hear any whining from the oil pump or any kind of tick rattle or anything.
HELP. i dont kno what it is im new to saabs.

thanks.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You really need a real oil pressure guage to measure the actual oil pressure. The OEM sensor trips the light at around 5 psi. That's not very much oil pressure. The easiest way to add an aftermarket guage is to install a "sandwich adapter" between the oil filter and oil filter housing. Then the oil pressor senor screws into that and then you wire the sensor to the guage in the cabin. That setup will cost you about $100 in parts and DIY labor is fairly easy. An alternative is to try a heavier weight oil. Many here run Mobil1 0W-40 full synthetic oil. A heavier weight oil will increase the oil pressure slightly. But, you should not continue to run the engine with the oil light on. At 5 psi (assuming that's what it really is), the bearings will not last long... Ron

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What type / viscosity are you running right now? I would take the above advice and get an oil pressure gauge just to make sure. You may have a clogged oil pump filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks i will do you kno where i could get a sandwich adapter. or how to hook it up with out one?
an what is the oil pressure suppose to read?
an im pretty sure it is 5w-30

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
changed the oil to 10w-40 yesterday an the oil light stays off. so that was the problem old oil was to thin. but thanks now i can enjoy my saab:)

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
All you know at the present is that the oil pressure is now above 5 psi or so. If it's at 6 spi now, that's not good. You should be up to at least 40 psi at speed. I still vote for the oil pressure guage to be sure.

FWIW, my '01 Sierra w/5.3L and 145-k miles still gets 65 psi when cold and at leat 40 psi at idle when hot with Quaker State 5W-30 mineral oil... Ron​

1 - 7 of 7 Posts