SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
i was wondering , ive always had abbott racing upgrades in the past on my last gm 900 , and my 9000 carlsson ...... i would like to try someone else but they are all very '' non forthcoming '' about each others mapping etc .

Is the speedparts one any good ? i noticed the hirsch is not so powerful for ridiculous money , but the BSR one is also good ?

i cant choose so i would like to go on a squad average .... the most in favour is the one i shall go for ..... otherwise ill stick to abbott .

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
TurboTempo said:
Hi ,
i was wondering , ive always had abbott racing upgrades in the past on my last gm 900 , and my 9000 carlsson ...... i would like to try someone else but they are all very '' non forthcoming '' about each others mapping etc .

Is the speedparts one any good ? i noticed the hirsch is not so powerful for ridiculous money , but the BSR one is also good ?

i cant choose so i would like to go on a squad average .... the most in favour is the one i shall go for ..... otherwise ill stick to abbott .

:D
I'd recommend to use Maptun products. They're very good and their price/quality level is excellent. You can also get a "modified" software from Maptun where the software parametres can be adjusted according to your specifications.

I have Maptun "stage III+" software in my car. That means bigger IC, 3" exhaust pipe with a sport cat, actuator with a tighter spring and a software which is adjusted for bigger IC and gives me a little overboost when I push pedal to the metal. After that the boost will decrease to 1,3 bar. No complaints about that kit. Works OK and was real value for the money!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I've had the Speedparts ECU in my car for a couple of years now, and it's great. It gives the car another 30 hp or so. I've heard that Abbott's ECUs aren't tuned as well as others. If I was to ever get another ECU, I'd probably go for an SQR ECU, given Frank Stromqvist's reputation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sqr ?

an SQR upgrade ? whats that if i can ask ?

and the speedparts ECU upgrade says it gives 42 Bhp with 83 extra on the torque , is that them overselling themselves ?

cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the Abbott ECU in my car. It's an early 1998 9-3 running on the T5 ignition so virtually the same as your NG900 engine-wise. On the rolling road I recently topped out at a creditable 240bhp. :D

That said the car does have the cross-flow intercooler and larger bore downpipe, cat & exhaust - you wouldn't get all of that 55bhp increase just with the ECU swap but you'd get a lot of it.

Lastly, this is my second car with Abbott'd ECU - both have worked flawlessly and never let me down which is just as important!

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've got BSR Speedparts Stage 1 with Abbott intercooler, Viggen tailbox and 3" inlet pipe. That all seems to work well. 28MPG typically (hurtling :) ).

No dyno, but can stay with 3.2 Litre A3s :D .

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
TurboTempo said:
an SQR upgrade ? whats that if i can ask ?

and the speedparts ECU upgrade says it gives 42 Bhp with 83 extra on the torque , is that them overselling themselves ?

cheers
SQR is Stromqvist Racing. Their ECUs are very highly regarded, and Frank Stromqvist himself can even do custom tuning when he comes to the US.

42 BHP sounds a little high. That's probably true for a Stage 3, but the Stage 2 I have didn't make that much power on its own. Between it and the Viggen exhaust and intercooler, I'm sure the car is putting out 42 more horsepower, though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sqr

thanks for your advice ive already been in contact with SQR , he has a very good rep.

he says that stage one is 45 Bhp anyway . ( 230 bhp )

sounds good to me

·
Registered
832 Posts
TurboTempothanks for your advice ive already been in contact with SQR , he has a very good rep.

he says that stage one is 45 Bhp anyway . ( 230 bhp )

sounds good to me
what price did he quote you for that stage 1? Anyone know what the stage 3 SQR is going for?

·
Registered
642 Posts
all the stages for SQR for the T5 engine management are $595 t7 i believe is 795. remember with the ECU upgrade you need all the other upgrades to got with it. Intake, IC, Exhaust etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts