SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saab admits that all RHD GM900/9-3's are prone to firewall or bulkhead cracks. This is an important saftey issue.

Saab Australia is repairing all vehicles at Saab's cost irrespective of where the vehicle has been serviced or the vehicle warranty.

Procedure

1. Determine if there is a crack. This will be located around the brake booster and where the rack attaches to the firewall. Check with a mechanic, you can see the crack without the need for hoisting the vehicle.

2. Contact your local Saab dealer for an inspection. My dealer couldnt even see the crack and gave me a hard time. If they do contact your Saab/GM consumer hotline.

3. They will put your vehicle into the system for repairs. There is a 3 month wait for Saab parts in Australia.

4. A panel shop will remove the brake booster, Steering box and steering rack. A Saab repair kit will be welded to the firewall. Repaint. Replace brake booster, steering rack and replace with fresh Saab oil.

I am getting further info from Saab HQ and will post info as it becomes available.

I hope this helps.

Regards Mark.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Link to previous thread...

here

I wonder if Saab UK will pick this one up?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vehicle has now been inspected and took all of 2 mins. The Dealer will also need License, Rego, & front page of the Service book if you have one. My car is No. 11 in line for repairs at my local Saab Dealer and they are all 9.3's & 900's.

Saab Australia is still quoting 3 months for a Saab repair kit, but possibly Saab Australia will source from local manufacturers.

What is Saab UK saying about this problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi mate

I recently bought a 900 and have it booked for a service with SaabServe in Sydney on Thursday. They told me that nearly every 900/9-3 is affected. They'll check this for me too...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi RRazor, Steve and Ric at SaabServ in parramatta are good guys. I take my car there also.

When you need parts www.saabwreck.com.au are pretty good they will ship up from Melbourne, they are the only wrecker I have found.

If you go to Heartland Saab in Parramatta for the crack inspection save yourself some time and only talk to Luke.

Cheers Mark.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
sportmonday said:
Emailed Saab UK about it.

You reckon I'll get any response??!! :confused:
Mine (in the UK) failed it's last MOT on this - expensive repair (and you know it's a problem when there is a repair kit). Can I claim the 25% of the £488 repair cost Saab did not pick up as goodwill back off them now?:x :x :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
koniq said:
Why only Australia? why not N America?
Your steering wheel is on the wrong side ;) It appears to be a mostly a rhd issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had the car checked and sure enough - the firewall has a crack too. Saab in Parramatta wasn't too happy to hear about it and wants to check the paperwork before doing anything else.........

He also mentioned that there is a 5 month waiting list now. :( :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least you are on the list. Take your rego, lic, log book thats all they need. Even the last of the model '03 cars are all cracking.I dont think Heartland and Saabserv get on.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
any news on a uk recall?

can anyone post a diagram to where I would find this as I am newish to the saab world..... cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Was hat Saab Heartland yesterday and gave them the paperwork. I spoke to Luke who wasn't too thrilled but at least he didn't cause any problems. Maybe he's given up on it. They don't even want to check the car... still 5 months wait is damn long!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
RRazor said:
Was hat Saab Heartland yesterday and gave them the paperwork. I spoke to Luke who wasn't too thrilled but at least he didn't cause any problems. Maybe he's given up on it. They don't even want to check the car... still 5 months wait is damn long!
Yes it is - in the UK we have an annual MOT safety inspection on our cars, mine was found to be cracked by the dealers at this inspection and failed the test as a result. The result of failing this test is your car is unroadworthy and cannot be driven anywhere apart from to get the repair done or to get it retested. 5 months would be a long time to wait with no car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There has been no mention of this in New Zealand, so I've e-mailed Saab to ask what will happen here - my concern is that the 9-3 is a Jap import, whilst the 900NG is NZ new - will they say they'll fix the one originally supplied here, but not the Jappie one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's what I sent

Hi, please can you advise me re. two vehicles we own, an 1999 Saab 9-3S and an 1993 900NG. I have been told that there is a fault on the front firewall where cracks appear; this is only a RHD issue and in Australia there has been a recall, with Saab Australia undertaking all the repairs on the vehicles. I have not heard of the same recall being offered in New Zealand.

Please can you advise if we are to be contacted to have the vehicles
inspected and/or repaired if needed?
and here is the informative reply!
Dear Ian,

Thank you for your email.

We advise that the concern you mentioned in your email has not been
initiated as a recall, and as such, we have not been in contact with you.

However, should you experience such a concern with your vehicle, please
contact your nearest Saab Dealer so that they may address this for you.

Kind regards,

Jackie Nagy
Saab Customer Assistance
So 2000 miles away there is a recall, but not in NZ! And if I have a concern take it to the dealer - but no mention of who pays!

·
Registered
92 Posts
No! You didn't read it properly.... there is NO recall in Australia but if cars here have a cracked firewall then Saab repairs it at their expense on request. This is the important bit!

It sounds like initially they didn't even like this much and looked for excuses to get out of this (at least some dealers in Sydney) and conducted a preliminary check on all 900's (9-3 wasn't mentioned) though they seemed to have come to the conclusion that all cars are affected to some degree and hence do not bother with preliminary checks anymore (at least Saab Heartland).

There is also a 3+ months waiting list due to short supply of parts and the sheer number of cars that are coming in for this fix.

·
Registered
770 Posts
UK diesels

Dzlsabe will buy any UK 93 diesels deemed not worth repairing this matter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is alarming. I have a 2000 93 2.2 tid. 135,000 mile. I get a judder under acceleration, most pronounced between 30 and 50MPH in 2nd and 3rd. I do not think it is drive shafts or CV's / UJ's because it is not constant or associated with steering lock. It is more pronounced after hard cornering and general hooning about. I have had a Dealer and two mechanics look at it and it is not wheel bearings either (though the dealer did try to sell me a clutch?). Someone has suggested it may be related to bush wear or steering rack.

Could it be this?

1 - 20 of 270 Posts