SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I'm too lazy to search and dont have much time on the computer. What are the major differences in the GM 9000s and swedish ones. I'm from the audi world and they said that the GM ones will just put me through hell

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Since the 9000 was designed for 1985... before GM had a lot of influince in the company, and was majorly unchanged for its whole life, theres not really a GM9000. In 1994 there was a facelift to make it appear more modern, but still it was largely unchanged. The biggest one being an improved manual gearbox.

GM bought 50% of saab in 1990, which was also the same year the 2.3L engine was introduced, so i think there may be some GM ties there, but the 2.3L engine is probably the most robust engine you'll find in most cars, capable on stock internals up to over 400HP.

are you getting confused with GM900 (NG900)?, which was designed for 1993 and GM would have had more influince on it then...

Regardless of GM's intervention, the 9000 still has the potential to give you hell :lol: , but it certainly makes up for EVERYTHING that can go wrong with its amazing driving experience.

brownboy1690 said:
Yeah I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I'm too lazy to search and dont have much time on the computer. What are the major differences in the GM 9000s and swedish ones. I'm from the audi world and they said that the GM ones will just put me through hell
They are wrong... The GM900 is a pretty reliable car, they dont know what they are talking about with "sweedish 9000's and GM 9000's"

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
9000s are more safe, durable and reliable than any of its competitors.
GM had little to do with the 9000. The transmission was changed to make it an inch shorter so it could fit in the NG900 too; it was neither upgraded nor downgraded.
The 2.3 motor is all SAAB, no GM influence. The V6 is all GM, no SAAB influence.
There's no other car available that has comparable gas mileage, performance and practical interior space.
I'll be looking for a new car for my wife soon. It will be a 1996 2.3 with low miles; that's the best Bang-for-the-Buck available today.
Want performance? All the above is the same, just get a Full Pressure Turbo model and hang on. I prefer the non-Aero models because of the lower gearing; I spend way more time between 70 and 110 mph than above 140.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
SAAB 9000 SAAB version = any of the 4 cylinder variations, engine is built like a brick **** house, 200K miles & will not burn a drop, just mind & check the head bolt torque every 20k or so & treat the gearbox with respect

SAAB 9000 GM version = V6 3litre, engine is still a good one as long as you regularily oil it and change the "plastic" timing belt

The GM 900 follows the same path but its got the GM 2.5 V6

The 9-3 & 9-5, hmmm now this is where GM got inside the 4cylinder saab engines & kinda took a major step back in general reliability

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, so overall a saab 9000 would be a good buy?? I'm looking to get something around a 96 5spd 2.3L turbo. If you guys know anyone trieng to get rid of one please let me know

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd like to let you know there is a Low Pressure Turbo, and Full Pressure Turbo variant of the Saab 9000.

As a guideline, a CSE is usually full pressure turbo. An in car, dash shot will show a Turbo/APC gauge in between the temp and fuel gauge. This is not present on the Low Pressure Turbo dashes.

Keep in mind that is in general, there are some FPT CS's and LPT with boost gauges in the dash, so I've been told.

I have a LPT 97 CS, that I essentially converted into a CSE with a FPT ecu, APC boost controller and even the electronic trip computer. Saab made the 9000 plug-n-play, all the goodies on a high end model will plug into a low end model. For instance, my CS didn't have the boost controller APC solenoid. It did, however, have the wiring harness for it. So when I got the APC and the FPT ecu, it dropped in nicely.

FPT boosts to ~15 psi, LPT boosts to ~5 psi, which is mechanically limited by the wastegate.

Take from this what you need, it's a lot of info that you may or may not need.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
brownboy1690 said:
I have only see the cse for sale. Would they be a better buy?
Unless you can find a rare AERO, CSE is the best way to go in my oppinion.

The CS is still fine but its missing goodies found on the CSE... the aero has amazing seats though.... but the CSE seats are still amazing compared to most cars

·
Registered
936 Posts
+1 CSE's are awesome....... Anyway glad to see you signed up brownboy...... the 9000s like i told you are great, practica,l quick, mod friendly cars that can be had at a reasonable price

later

·
Registered
12 Posts
dont the new saabs 9-3 or whatever have the gm ecotec motor with a turbo? because that motor is pretty strong from what i gather. comes on the supercharged saturns and cobalt. i heard the rest of the car is **** though. too bad there the best looking saabs imo. (was told this info by a saab tech)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone for replies, i just have to make sure the saab 9000 is the right car for me.:D but the main problem right now is finding one for sale

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
7808 said:
dont the new saabs 9-3 or whatever have the gm ecotec motor with a turbo? because that motor is pretty strong from what i gather. comes on the supercharged saturns and cobalt. i heard the rest of the car is **** though. too bad there the best looking saabs imo. (was told this info by a saab tech)
Well why dont you go drive one instead of trashing on things that "you heard" of

·
Registered
12 Posts
boon94 said:
Well why dont you go drive one instead of trashing on things that "you heard" of
actually i really liked the 03'+ saabs but after talking to this saab tech for a while he pretty much steered me away from them saying pretty much the motor was the only good part of them.

he said the do NOT age well. judging by how nice they look and there features, but they dont seem to hold much value im guessing hes not lying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.