SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM has sunk saab to a new low. car and driver article titled "Swedish Seoul"

well everybody, i'm ready to bid goodbye to the once great Saab company. i could take the 9-2x--it made sense, and it's a huge improvement over the WRX. i guess the 9-7x has to exist, because Saab needs an SUV just like a fish needs pants, which is apparently a lot.

on page 37 of the May 2005 issue of Car and Driver magazine is found this little blurb about saab.

"Saab's 9-7x sport ute, built on the same platform as the chevrolet trailblazer, is set to go on sale this month. the body-on-frame mid-size 9-7x will be the only Saab SUV in showrooms for a couple of years until the swedish automaker's car-based unibody SUV, now dubbed the 9-5x, shows up in 2007. Some time back, word had it that the car-based sport ute would be called the 9-6x and would be based on Subaru's B9 Tribeca, but it seems the Japanese platform was dismissed because it would have required too many modifications to adapt a diesel engine necessary for Europe (the 9-7x will only be sold in the U.S.). Therefore, Saab will build the 9-5x on the GM Theta platform that underpins the Saturn Vue and Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac's upcoming Torrent, due this fall.

"A four-cylinder turbo diesel engine will come from Italian maker VM Motori for use in the Saab, Opel, and Vauxhall versions of the SUV, although plans for importing the diesel to the States seem unlikely. Don't be surprised if the 9-5x is built in a Daewoo plant in Korea".

"Swedish sacrilege? Perhaps, but Saab is trying hard to stay competitive by cutting production, development, and currency costs."

so now we'll have this once-unique brand, to which GM has deceptively given the tag line of "welcome to the state of independence" (completely ironic, considering the company's strict dependency upon the funding of GM), selling a car built alongside the exceptional (exceptionally stupid) chevrolet aveo. General Motors has ruined saab. We must cherish the cars that are left from this brand, and maybe keep an inkling of hope that it will regain its identity... but i think this hope is misplaced.

i love my C900.:cry:

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Are they saying the 9-6X is completely scuttled ..... just like that, because it wouldn't accept a diesel engine for European market ? Did Saab/GM not forsee this when they chose to share the B9 Tribeca platform way back when ? I find this news somehow unconvincing. But then again a lot of sh** has happened at Saab and GM in the past few weeks, so who knows ?

I still have faith in the SportCombi as the comeback car for Saab. Even the 9-7X I have high hopes for. The 9-2X and 9-6X are mere sidedishes compared to what they're planning for the 9-3 and 9-5 lines.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe the sportcombi will attract some sales. but i'm saying it's true "swedish sacrilege" to build the freaking things in korea. good-night! they should be shot... japan was bad enough. now we're in the land of hyundai and kia. welcome to the world of GM.

·
Registered
850 Posts
if that is true......that demonstrate another time that GM is like a blind trying to hit someone, it is impressive the waste of time and money they are ocasionating in Saab. As I showed in the article of autonews Saab said they have about 2 years of delay in his product portofolio and now they come with a 9-7x and 9-6x that nobody knows what difference you can find in both.

About the 9-6x, the 9-6x name is registered by Saab, I have many doubts about the change.

greetings

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can we all pool our pocket change together and buy Saab from GM? :roll:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
edusaab said:
if that is true......that demonstrate another time that GM is like a blind trying to hit someone, it is impressive the waste of time and money they are ocasionating in Saab. As I showed in the article of autonews Saab said they have about 2 years of delay in his product portofolio and now they come with a 9-7x and 9-6x that nobody knows what difference you can find in both.

About the 9-6x, the 9-6x name is registered by Saab, I have many doubts about the change.

greetings
keep in mind, this isn't MY speculation... this is out of car and driver, and they're usually not far off... i expect there are more reasons for discontinuing the 9-6x project... however, it could still be *** information.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it is out of C&D I would be worried, I have visited and will probably be working at a publication very similar to C&D. MONTHS before anything at any auto show was revealed (including teaser info far before that) the automakers gave the magazines info to gauge reactions and simply get the word out... apperantly they aren't gauging many reactions and simply are killing Saab even more. I do love my 9-2X Aero however and while I would like a 2.3 Turbo under the hood the motor is excellent and AWD is MUCH over do.... I'm simply thinking that Saab is becoming GM's one Infiniti/Lexus for ALL the companies under the GM name plate.... god help us all.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
shouldn't they have known a diesel wouldn't work before they started?

i want some of the stuff they're smoking.

even if they build a ute on this theta platform they still need something bigger. that's where the cash is. this would make the 3rd time they've failed in this project.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know I always knew there was a reason that every car in my parents driveway was from Europe (actual European cars, like BMW not US owned comps) and Asia (well that was all me). Hell I'm MORE than happy to own a Saab that has a Fuji Heavy Industries stamp, who cares, it's a DAMN fine motor and the chassis in unflappable, what bugs me is when we start taking real econo box engines and stuffing them in Saabs. I mean the EJ20 (and maybe EJ25) carry on a proud tradition of lots of boost and capable of so much more on factory internals, just like Saab always has. I remember reading when I was getting back interested in Saab's that the 9-3 Viggen could hold 25psi of boost, I was blown away. Yet there are some things GM could do better, like use AWD platforms that are upcoming to actually let the brand compete with Volvo more and put a much better stamp on the market. Parts sharing is fine with me, I mean there is NO way that I could have ever dreamed of owning a Saab 9-2X exactly how it sits if it wasn't for GM, heck an AWD 2.0T with 227hp probably would have cost mid 30K range if Saab built the whole thing. What is really agravating is not all the part sharing, it's the cars that they choose to share parts with. No one seems to be complaining when Lexus uses so many Toyota parts, or Audi makes use of VW parts, etc. I just wish that Saab was owned by a real company, like Renault or Peugot that know how to build a turbo European car, not damn GM.

I just think about all this and wonder... you know they have the Saturn Sky platform, turbo that thing and throw on a badge while your at it.... if Saab is so doomed to low profits... SELL IT OFF!!! Give it back, I just wish that GM would stop complaining and find a way to put the company back to Trollhatten and back to us enthusiasts.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nobody complains about lexus using toyota parts because lexus IS toyota and always has been. saab hasn't always been GM, and it's the change that affects us. people DO complain about Audi using so many veedub parts.

to reply to the person who said "they need something bigger" , that's truly the last thing saab needs. saab doesn't need a suburban. the 9-7x is plenty big for a brand like saab. let GMC and Chevrolet fight over the excursion killers.

anyways, this sucks. and i'm sprouting a profound hate for GM and their unparalleled skill at ruining brands.

but hey, at least cadillac is getting sporty cars...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I don't believe the article. I think it is a bunch of crap. The B9x based 9-6x is all but confirmed. Theta is so not a platform they would make Saab use. That's in the same family as the Aztek and the Equinox. It would not be suitable for a Saab SUV. Even if they decided the GMT360 was, Theta is not. I don't believe it. Besides, we already have a 9-5...

A

·
0 Posts
Theta is at least not a truck, which the 9-7x is. I think if they stick to just the platform and give Saab their own engines and build it in Sweden, it could work. Besides, it's the VUE (which I sort of like) Equinox and Torrent that share the platform, and they're all OK as far as small SUVs go.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I don't buy this a replacement for the 9-5, but I do believe that it'll be the 9-6. Eh, who cares if they make it in Korea, it's an assembly line. It doesn't really matter where it's made, just how it's made. I mean the finally assembly location on my car was Finland.

GM is so screwed up right now it's insane, they can't make a decision and stick to it. I don't care if they make the 9-6 out wet paper towels and the new 9-5 out of toothpicks, JUST DO IT ALREADY!!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I don't buy this a replacement for the 9-5, but I do believe that it'll be the 9-6. Eh, who cares if they make it in Korea, it's an assembly line. It doesn't really matter where it's made, just how it's made. I mean the finally assembly location on my car was Finland.

GM is so screwed up right now it's insane, they can't make a decision and stick to it. I don't care if they make the 9-6 out wet paper towels and the new 9-5 out of toothpicks, JUST DO IT ALREADY!!!!
Hey, I mean BMW Z3's and X5's are made in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Are they lesser BMWs than those made in der Fatherland ? The Lexus RX330 is made in Cambridge, Ontario and is one of the best selling and most successful luxury crossovers in the world. At the end of the day, I agree with Raven, I don't really care where a Saab is made, but more what it's made of. :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
What I should have said was not complain but sales are still good, like on the Audi those that know may care, but most who buy Audi's that I know REALLY do not care at all. Frankly they couldn't tell you that Audi and VW were related. The problem with Saab is that it is such a niche that none of the rules apply... once again GM messed up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
SaabKen said:
Hey, I mean BMW Z3's and X5's are made in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Are they lesser BMWs than those made in der Fatherland ? The Lexus RX330 is made in Cambridge, Ontario and is one of the best selling and most successful luxury crossovers in the world. At the end of the day, I agree with Raven, I don't really care where a Saab is made, but more what it's made of. :eek:
Could not have ever said it better. 9-2X = Saab build quality with bullit prove drive train and engine. Now the Delta platform and Ecotec....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but guys, it's KOREA. the land of KIA's. do you want a saab, or a kia that costs as much as a saab?

maybe you don't care where it's made, but as for me, i don't want to pay a saab price for a car made in korea. one thing i actually appreciate about the Japanese is that many are assembled here in the united states, supplementing our economy. our economy is the one that needs to be supplemented, not korea's. we need to keep work here. if BMW is building cars here, awesome. think about this: would BMW, a respected marque, ever build cars in Korea? would mercedes benz? how about porsche? oh, but GM would. so let's be like GM, chevrolets and stuff, rather than trying to be like the brands saab is competing against. nobody wants to go look at an expensive "Euro"-lux sports sedan and see "place of manufacture: Korea." THAT'S what i have a problem with.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the C&D article might be accurate. Subaru has mentioned that it is having design issues with adapting a diesel to the boxer engine. I don't understand the problems, but I read that the plan is for 2007/8 at teh earliest for a diesel. I am disappointed as I thought the B9 would be a nice base platform for the 9-6X. I could just imagine a turbo Boxer 6 as an Aero model. However the Theta platform based Equinox is pretty nice looking and pretty nice in execution. I think GM can work pretty good magic with suspension tuning, and drive dynamics with the Equinox, it has been well received thus far as is. We just have to face it, the old days of building Saab cars in Sweeden or Finland are over. Don't knock Hyundai, Daewoo or Kia, as their quality is coming up pretty nicely, hell Hyundai might be in a position to buy Saab. I hope the 9-3 Sport Conbi will help, but without AWD it's not going to be terribly exciting.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one thing i'm apprehensive about is what kind of drivetrain they're going to put in the thing. the Equinox has an engine made in china with a transmission made in Japan. in an "american" SUV.

you say you can "just imagine" an Aero version with a turbo 6... RIIIIIIGHT... you guys crack me up. so you think that GM is going to cut costs by producing it in korea, then turn around a make an attempt at excitement with an aero model... pff, right. saab isn't in control anymore. expect excitement to decline, maybe even go away. if they wanted to put John Heinreicy in charge, however, maybe saab would get some of its excitement back... and maybe it's "state of independence"

and the day hyundai buys saab is the day i ultimately give up. yes, the quality may be coming up, but we're talking about initial quality. nothing's been proven about durability over the years. and not all their cars show quality--except of the poor variety. i drove a little Kia Rio. i know it's cheap, but they can't claim quality and still produce that little lump of -----. when i started it up, the coarse bumpy idle and the clunk heard when putting the Fischer-Price shifter into reverse made me think i was gonna break the dang thing, and it had less than 500 miles on it... already felt like it had 100k :eek:

again, it may be cheap, but those are the kinds of cars that korea is associated with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts