SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It's been a while, hope everything is well with all of you and your cars. I've been a bit too busy to keep up with this active forum :cry: But now i'm back :D

Has anyone else noticed a glue residue under the rear headrests? It seems to be coming from the headrests themselves, the seam seems to have been glued together. The headrests and the area under the headrests between the sockets are sticky.

Does anyone know how to clean glue-type substances from leather surfaces? I've tried with a Leather cleaner fluid from a car conditioning company here in sweden, but that did not help at all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

What would you guys use to clean things like glue from leather surfaces?

·
Registered
462 Posts
jmr said:
Anyone?

What would you guys use to clean things like glue from leather surfaces?
I would try a good leather cleaner first, then warm soapy water, then Goo Gone. Always try in an inconspicuous area first.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nope leather cleaner dont work. I have no clue either. I was going tot take white gas to it next.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Take it off with...

some solvent. I am not certain where this residue is, but 3m has something called "adhesive removal cleaner" that takes off glue like it is nothing...

Be careful about the surface to which you are applying the solvent. It can be caustic with certain materials. Test it out in an inconspicuous area first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I tried to find both the 3m stuff and Goo Gone. Neither seems to be available over here.

I've now tried with some white gas on a couple of small areas, it seems to do the trick, i just want to make sure it does not cause discoloration or other problems before i clean it all.

To make it more interesting it appears to me that the headrests are plastic leather imitation and the top of the seats are real leather.

They used glue to fasten the velcro in the headrests, and something (probably heat?) causes the glue to start running. Lovely.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can now confirm that the white gas did not cause any damage to the materials for me and all the glue is gone, but as always ymmv.

However, this is probably just a temporary fix, there's still glue left inside the headrests...will talk to my dealer about it the next time i go there.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
My new 9-3SS, which has a build date of March 2005 (probably March 14th), has sticky rear headrests (underneath). Very odd problem. Not too serious but weird.

Anyone try rubbing alcohol?

It seems that nobody has unique problems. If you think your problem is unique, it seems like thousands of people have the same problem with their 9-3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts