SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just had the glow plugs changed on my saab 9-3 2.2 2002 diesel the engine management light is coming on and when the lap top was connected it said the problem was the glow plug leads when they where moved about the light went out but it keeps coming back on .do you think the leads need renewing? if so what are they called? and where is the best place to get them ?thanks for any help. Jack

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
little jack said:
Hi i have just had the glow plugs changed on my Saab 9-3 2.2 2002 diesel the engine management light is coming on and when the lap top was connected it said the problem was the glow plug leads when they where moved about the light went out but it keeps coming back on .do you think the leads need renewing? if so what are they called? and where is the best place to get them ?thanks for any help. Jack
My only experience in this area is the VW and Mercedes Diesel ownership - but I never had any troubles with the wiring - the glow plugs were good for around 50K miles.
The two used a metal strip between the plugs, and this was rugged.

Now , IIRC, VW has the plugs and harness changed as a unit and at a high expense.
Yes, I fear Saab is the same, your glow plug harness is broken in one place or more - I do not know if this is repairable....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I believe that glow plug wires are quite breakable :confused:. Try to look for any signs of damage, or do a continuity test with a multimeter.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A very tough question is this.
And I have no idea of what this harness looks like, its characteristics and properties...VW replaces this during the glow plug renewal, as I have read in the past..
I do not really know why..
Why not try some new 10 gage copper wires ??
I'd post this on the TDI forum, they use a similar design and have at least 10 times the posters and experience..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
little jack said:
Is the TDI forum on this site ?
The diesel version of the car was not sold in the US, so there are few owners posting about them.

The politics of importing a car with a diesel engine from Europe to the US were (and are) beyond the ability of most import car makers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts