SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, folks. I'm coming over from the 9-2 forums, but have a 9-3 question.

My girlfriend recently lost her 2nd key (the first one disappeared a year ago and she never had it replaced). Is there anyway to retrieve the code and have the dealer program a new key without replacing the entire ignition / locking system (at a cost of approx. $1500.00)?

Much appreciated.

Shane

·
Registered
846 Posts
n_r_child said:
Howdy, folks. I'm coming over from the 9-2 forums, but have a 9-3 question.

My girlfriend recently lost her 2nd key (the first one disappeared a year ago and she never had it replaced). Is there anyway to retrieve the code and have the dealer program a new key without replacing the entire ignition / locking system (at a cost of approx. $1500.00)?

Much appreciated.

Shane

Ouch!

From what my dealer told me, its a 'small fortune' to replace the ignition/locking system in the event both keys are lost. From what I know, there really is no way around this particular policy of thiers and that you are going to have to caugh up the needed funds.

The tone in my service manager's voice when he said 'small fortune' makes me wonder if $1500 might be an optimistic price, he hinted at a figure much higher than that. After all, just getting one single key fob replaced is $225+, now talking about replacing the entire ignition/locking system as well as the security reprogramming that would be needed...brace yourself!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hold on...

So if both keys are lost you have to have the entire ignition system replaced?

Oh dear... I'm down to one key and the htought of that happening is EXTREMELY frightening. It seems ridiculous that they would need to replace the entire system if you lose your keys.... absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was told to ALWAYS have 2 keys for the car. If i lose one, pay the 225 to replace it. The dealer mentioned the same thing to me, it'd be around 1500 to replace everything. Everything needs to be replaced because the programing/chips and things are all in the key, not in the car itself. All the charges are to reprogram brand new keys, and to have the car read that programing.

Sadly, i think you're going to have to cough up the money :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jody said:
Hold on...

So if both keys are lost you have to have the entire ignition system replaced?

Oh dear... I'm down to one key and the htought of that happening is EXTREMELY frightening. It seems ridiculous that they would need to replace the entire system if you lose your keys.... absolutely ridiculous.
I am also down to one key, which is how the convo started with the dealer. Like you, its a concern.....$225 seems steep price to pay for a 2nd key, but if I loose my key I am pretty much screwed. :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DMBeer41 said:
I was told to ALWAYS have 2 keys for the car. If i lose one, pay the 225 to replace it. The dealer mentioned the same thing to me, it'd be around 1500 to replace everything. Everything needs to be replaced because the programing/chips and things are all in the key, not in the car itself. All the charges are to reprogram brand new keys, and to have the car read that programing.

Sadly, i think you're going to have to cough up the money :(
I somewhat assumed that, but I was hoping a savior would pop up. oh well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup. It's much cheaper to spend the money on an extra key than to replace the CIM and get new keys plus labor. A lot less hassle too.

I try to explain this when people balk at the price of an extra key.

The good thing is that it not only makes it hard to steal, it also discourages theft by pros because they know the cost of trying to get new keys for it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My key cost me about $190 when all was done, including tax and programming. But it was worth it.

The keys are crazy expensive, but they make the car virtually impossible to steal without towing it, and that really wouldn't be worth any theifs time. I actually get a special discount with my 9-3 because of its safety and other systems. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
From what i've been told. YOU REALLY need to have the primary key, that is most important. Without primary, you cannot program in a new key to car. That's what I had to deal with when they had to give me new key and change ignition control module cause it was faulty. Had to go all the way to nyc from ct to retreive the sucker.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
CosmicSaab said:
My key cost me about $190 when all was done, including tax and programming. But it was worth it.

The keys are crazy expensive, but they make the car virtually impossible to steal without towing it, and that really wouldn't be worth any theifs time. I actually get a special discount with my 9-3 because of its safety and other systems. :D
If you remember, CEO of Dimler/Chrysler had his car (MB S600 Armored) stolen in front of a conference hall, when he drove there for a meeting....the still have not found it. It had GPS locator and all other gadgets in it :). If somebody wants your car, it will be gone before you notice it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the locks changed and new keys for 03 model because the dealer could not cut a good key for my car at their expense-tried 3 times. Anyway, the car was totaled weeks later. Can the remote be programmed to another car? I think so since i have seen a few on Ebay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh my gosh...i wish my dealer would've told me this (and so many other things) when i bought my CPO 9-3 back in 2002. i never received a spare key, and the thought occurred to me later that you should always get one when you buy a car from a dealer, right?

call me careless, but i just forgot about it. i generally don't lose things anyway, but stuff happens even w/the best of intentions. so i decided to ask the dealer if there's any way they could give me that set (otherwise, what happened to it?)...no such luck because the dealer has changed ownership, it's 3 years later, no one's ever asked such a ridiculous question (blahblahblah). i also asked if maybe saab would reimburse me for the set, seeing as how i never got one, but i haven't checked yet.

either way, they told me the extra key is only about $89 (or was it $189?) which seems like a small price to pay compared to the $1,500-plus you're all talking about for a new ignition system...guess i'll order a key asap!

(what would i do w/o this forum?)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
saab9-3LA said:
oh my gosh...i wish my dealer would've told me this (and so many other things) when i bought my CPO 9-3 back in 2002. i never received a spare key, and the thought occurred to me later that you should always get one when you buy a car from a dealer, right?

call me careless, but i just forgot about it. i generally don't lose things anyway, but stuff happens even w/the best of intentions. so i decided to ask the dealer if there's any way they could give me that set (otherwise, what happened to it?)...no such luck because the dealer has changed ownership, it's 3 years later, no one's ever asked such a ridiculous question (blahblahblah). i also asked if maybe saab would reimburse me for the set, seeing as how i never got one, but i haven't checked yet.

either way, they told me the extra key is only about $89 (or was it $189?) which seems like a small price to pay compared to the $1,500-plus you're all talking about for a new ignition system...guess i'll order a key asap!

(what would i do w/o this forum?)
If you boutgt a CPO, it HAS to come with 2 keys and all books. It is in Certificaton Checklist (do you have it?). Call SAAB USA and demand one :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry to hear about your (and your girlfriend's) misfortune. When I first took delivery of my car and I asked the dealer about replacing keys, his exact words to me were, "if you lose one, make sure you get a replacement right away, because if you end up losing both, you're totally screwed."

So I guess having to pay a few grand is better than being "totally screwed." ;)

·
Banned
975 Posts
I hide my second key in the pocket on the front of the seat that no one really notices ;) Other people in the family kept taking the car for rides so I locked it in the car :cheesy: I figure it'd be easier to break into the car to get the replacement key or i can hopefully just call onstar assuming i get service whereever my car may be and ask them to unlock it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
soggy said:
I hide my second key in the pocket on the front of the seat that no one really notices ;) Other people in the family kept taking the car for rides so I locked it in the car :cheesy: I figure it'd be easier to break into the car to get the replacement key or i can hopefully just call onstar assuming i get service whereever my car may be and ask them to unlock it.
So thats all the low lifes in your locale who may browse this website now know where you keep your spare key. Replacing a key may be the least of your worries! :nono;

1 - 16 of 16 Posts