SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afetr turning motor etc off I am getting a electrical charge from touching the door when exiting vehicle.

Any tips on how to eliminate this please.

This is happening on a 93 900i.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
your 900 doesn't want you to leave:cheesy:

I guess pop the door panel off and see if the wires have corroded? sorry im very little help:roll:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
watson said:
Afetr turning motor etc off I am getting a electrical charge from touching the door when exiting vehicle.
Grasp the metal of the door BEFORE your foot touches the ground. That way, the static'll be discharged through the sole of your foot (large area) rather than the tip of your finger (small area)

Oh, and stop wearing cheap underwear.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some cars are worse at this than others, but it is mostly due to rubbing your shoes on the carpet, particularly bad if the carpet is nylon. On my floor mats there is a rubber patch where my feet go, so no static on exit.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
only if they're in contact with the ground in which case you just might have lowered your Saab a wee bit ....
<boggle>
Do you only ever drive on billiard tables?

I distinctly recall the maternal 900i 8v grounding the damn things with great regularity - and it was brand new, so even sagging rear springs (which both my 8v and the current T16 are/were afflicted with) could be discounted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, if I am reading and understanding correctly, there is no mechanical/electrical fault, it is just my shoes and err... underwear, just the friction on floor mats.

I have mats from a 9000 over the actual carpet with the rubber pad.

I always understood the mid flaps were there to protect the rear springs etc from debris.

Thank you for the replies above

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you are sliding your fanny across mouse fur seats, particularly in a low humidity environment, you will build up quite a stactic charge that finds its ground when you touch the metal in your door upon exiting--in the dark it can make quite a visible spark! :eek: Gets your attention, no??

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
WHAT!!?!?!

Of all my 900s this has never happened.

Whay are your 900s trying to kill you people? DO you not let the turbo idle down for long enough?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Gabby said:
If you are sliding your fanny across mouse fur seats
And here, Gents, we have a fine example of another transatlantic translation.

I deliberately say "Gents", because <how best to phrase this...> us fellas don't *have* a "fanny" this side of the atlantic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hmmm, no fannies over there?? Pity. The same way, I suppose, that "ar*ses" are in short supply on this side of the pond?? :cheesy:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ah hah! Part of the unadvertised benefit of posting on this forum is an education in English usage--here a "fannie" is not gender specific, AFAIK--I have, of course been in error before. :cheesy:

Sliding one's nether reaches--either gender--across mouse fur seats in a low humidity environment--is almost guaranteed to generate a charge of static electricity that will be looking for the nearest ground--er "earth". :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just keep your hand on the metal of the car as you climb out. You'll drain into the car and be fine.
Hurts, don't it?!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts