SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bugged by this for a long time... How to get a C900 up onto standard car ramps when the front lip of the lower spoiler collides with the rising part of the ramps before the front wheels start to go up them.

Back in Sydney I used a messy setup with blocks of wood to create a longer, shallower approach slope that ended about half way up the sloped part of the ramps, but I don't quite have anything like that here. Both my sets of ramps (got a small set, and a bigger one) have an angle that seems to be close to about 20 to 25 degrees from horizontal.

Have any of you found an innovative solution? I could get under the car and take out all the 4 mm bolts holding the bottom lip of the front spoiler off, but that's a bit silly. I'm looking around to see where I can find some steel chequerplate about the right width to make something to approximate what I did with the bits of wood though haven't located a source yet.

My 9k is not going to get up on the ramps at all since removing the whole front spoiler off that car just to get it up on ramps is a half-day job!

These are the big ramps:

flickr page

The smaller ones are the same angle on the ramp bit but don't go as high off the ground. Same problem though.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You need better ramps ;) The red stamped sheetmetal ones I have, "6000 lbs MAX" fit just perfectly (but only just)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need better ramps ;) The red stamped sheetmetal ones I have, "6000 lbs MAX" fit just perfectly (but only just)
The ones I have are Aussie made ones which are very common. It's just that our Saab's are very low to the ground with a fairly big overhang at the front compared to a lot of other cars. I'm going to try a few ideas since it's nice and sunny to see what I can concoct.

Craig.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I've found putting a couple of house bricks or short (2ft) planks at bottom of ramps is enough to lift the car enough to clear spoiler to get on ramps. My '93 Ruby is pretty low as standard and it works for me. Paul

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have the black plastic molded ramps and have had no problems getting ANY of my c900s on them. Even with the SPG suspension and panels/lowered front fascia there isn't a problem. The only time I've had issues is when I back onto them. My tailpipe will occasionally get caught on the ramp with the '89 SPG clone. Also, FWIW, the plastic ramps have been incredibly durable. I've used the same set for around 10 years now with vehicles up to twice the weight of a Saab at times. Plus, no rust if left out in the rain. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts