SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just scored a new project... A 2000 9-5 SE. Has anyone got pics or advice on how to get the timing cover off with the engine still in situ?
Details of Torx sizes and sockets needed to reach the idlers would really help.
Pics are even better
Cheers John

·
Registered
789 Posts
Recommendation opinion

I know everyone has an opinion (they're like ***holes) but I would really recommend taking your engine out to do this.

If you need timing and balance chains, you could also probably benefit from new bearings and rings as well as a thorough cleaning. Technically all of these things are doable when the engine is in the car, but if you add the pain of trying to do them all that way, it probably adds up to easier to pull it.

And the process of tapping the dowel pins for removal of the timing cover is likely to be really painful with the engine in the car, not to mention getting it to seal properly with the joint between it, the head and the block.

Pulling the engine is not that tough. With an auto, it's probably a day's job. Some here have done a pull, chains, and reinstall in a long day.

Anyway, one opinion.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Agree with Uthan

To take the timing cover off you have to remove (1) water pump, (2) power steering pump and bracket (3) AC compressor and bracket, (4) upper alternator bracket (5) lower alternator/mid-shaft bracket (6) sump and/or head.

The joint between the block, head and timing cover is notorious for leaking, without taking the head off that is going to be a hard one.

to do it you have to remove the motor mounts, transmission mounts, and push the engine as far to the battery side of the car as you possibly can. It's going to be a really tight fit.

As opposed to pulling the engine with most of that stuff attached (leaving the transmission in the car) and taking all of that stuff off with the engine out of the car which is way, way easier.

I've done two of them, both pulled the engine and as than said i did one of them in a really long day (and would have finished it except I didn't get the torque converter set right and had to take the engine back out when it was half in)

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is for the V6 which is belt driven, which doesn't require removing the engine. I've done two belts and I didn't even need to shift the engine. You will need some long wrenches.

I don't know remember the sizes off the top of my head.. Start removing the external water pump pulley, and the power steering pump pulley (the alternator can stay). Remove the RF wheel, remove the serp. belt cover, the undercarriage cover, the belt tensioner, the serpentine belt...

The two torx on the top are the same size throughout the whole plastic timing cover. Everything else is 13mm and 15mm I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.