SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you de restrict a 9 5 aero with a timing retard eliminator as in the hayabusa (bike) or is it more complicated?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You would need a custom ECU I believe.... and a built engine.

I think Genuinesaab is working on a short-stroke big-bore high-rev 9-3... should be interesting.

But yeah... our motors are bigger and less stable than a Busa's. They just can't rev much higher than they do from stock. Beyond redline, the horsepower drops off substantially anyways, so there would be no point in doing it on an untuned engine.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If you put lighter pistons in you can rev higher, but you'd need a tune on your ECU.

I think almost all forged pistons are significantly lighter.

I'd start worrying about valve float though, so new valve springs may be necessary as well. All are available, you just gotta look!

Forged pistons are available at almost every Saab tuner website:
www.genuinesaab.com
www.partsforsaabs.com
www.abbottracing.com

1k revs is a lot to get out of a big 4 cylinder though.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
1k revs is a lot to get out of a big 4 cylinder though.
Not really, with a few choice mods these engines will rev nicely. Valve springs, pistons, and cams to move the powerband up, and go for 7500. Nick at GS is running 7000 with stock valve springs and T5 cams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Excellent

I had the Abbott Racing Gamma upgrade:-
Re-mapped ECU
New I/C
3" Exhaust from turbo back
ITG air filter
Plus
The new air delivery pipe
All in all quite good value for money, I'm very pleased, only gripe is the exhaust is a bit louder than I would have liked.
Power is tremendous!!!!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Not really, with a few choice mods these engines will rev nicely. Valve springs, pistons, and cams to move the powerband up, and go for 7500. Nick at GS is running 7000 with stock valve springs and T5 cams.
Really! Wow that's cool to know... That could make quite a difference!

I also see that GenuineSaab has posted 2 different sets of high-lift cams in their 9-5 performance section! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts