SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasnt to ditch the stupid and irritating shift-up light that the US models come with.

Found the writeup on how to pull it all apart here but I am wondering if I pulling out the bulb will cause the car to have a hissy fit somehow....

Have any of you done this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
Not yet ... but once I get my new in-dash cup holder, I will be replacing a bunch of bulbs in the dash and YANKING that one out!

Stay tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SaabScott said:
Not yet ... but once I get my new in-dash cup holder, I will be replacing a bunch of bulbs in the dash and YANKING that one out!

Stay tuned.
Ah,

So it isn't just us dumb Yankees who apparently don't know when to change gear....:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
My dad had it turned off the first time the car went in for service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Much easier to just have a Tech II shut it off rather than pulling apart your dash to pull out one bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having it done with a tech II has crossed my mind.

When I had the dealer make my key last year I asked them to do it but a senior technician gave me a long song and dance about how to do it he would have to program the car into "Euro" mode and that it isn't a good idea.

Actually, they suggested pulling the bulb......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Its amazing how many things the Saab Techs do not know about the Tech II. It only takes a minute if they know how to do it...

Try another dealer or an indy with a tech II.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
I have tried to shut mine off with the tech 2, and its not so easy on the early MY99's. Mine doesnt even think that it has a shift up light..but it is there, and it does function properly:roll::roll::roll:.

Maybe that will get you guys all confused too. I plan on pulling the bulb out next time the dash is apart though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
My car is on "euro mode." It just changes minor things like how the headlights work and such. Even the Europeans have a shift up light, I'm pretty sure he can just shut it off... Maybe '99 was an off year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
My car is on "euro mode." It just changes minor things like how the headlights work and such. Even the Europeans have a shift up light, I'm pretty sure he can just shut it off... Maybe '99 was an off year?
No we don't. Manuals are the norm in Europe so its assumed we know when to change up a gear. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Kermit said:
No we don't. Manuals are the norm in Europe so its assumed we know when to change up a gear. :lol:
You guys don't!?

Damn. Our intelligence is really underestimated on this side of the pond. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just going to pull it myself......

A shop will want like $75 for it and it's is an hour of work for me.

It is a stupid light that should have never existed. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,000 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
You guys don't!?

Damn. Our intelligence is really underestimated on this side of the pond. Lol
You'll be happy to hear that it has nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy. If the manufacturer installs a 'shift up' light then EPA uses that as a shift point when doing their testing for fuel economy ratings. Super low shift points help economy on this drive cycle, thus allowing the manufacturer to pass the required corporate fuel economy number, even though the actual end owner of the vehicle wouldn't ever drive the car that way.

Testing (admittedly on non-turbo vehicles) does actually show that wide throttle openings combined with low shift points provides the best mileage for a specific rate of acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MacNoob said:
You'll be happy to hear that it has nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy. If the manufacturer installs a 'shift up' light then EPA uses that as a shift point when doing their testing for fuel economy ratings. Super low shift points help economy on this drive cycle, thus allowing the manufacturer to pass the required corporate fuel economy number, even though the actual end owner of the vehicle wouldn't ever drive the car that way.

Testing (admittedly on non-turbo vehicles) does actually show that wide throttle openings combined with low shift points provides the best mileage for a specific rate of acceleration.
So the car (and CAFE) is telling me what I already know...... Damn I can't wait to pull that bulb now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just finished the job and it was all pretty easy. No side effects and no more idiot light! :)

I also fixed the lose indicator stalk while I was at it.

This is super easy to do and only takes about an hour.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
I just finished the job and it was all pretty easy. No side effects and no more idiot light! :)

I also fixed the lose indicator stalk while I was at it.

This is super easy to do and only takes about an hour.......
Oh! I thought the looseness was normal!!! lol How did you fix that?! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
SectorNine50 said:
Oh! I thought the looseness was normal!!! lol How did you fix that?! :eek:
A bit of duct tape....

The white plastic bit of the assembly became lose inside the black cradle that is attached to the steering column (best way that I can describe it).


I added a few strips of tape to the cradle and slid the assembly back in. After that it was nice and tight.

P.S.

Update.... not all is well,there is one weird side effect. My speedo doesn't illuminate beyond 90 mph (like when you press the Night Panel button). I'm going to have a look tomorrow to see why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Much easier to just have a Tech II shut it off rather than pulling apart your dash to pull out one bulb.

You can't turn it off on the 1999 models using the Tech2 ... I've tried. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most current update...

I took it all apart again today and discovered that for whatever reason the bulb that lights up the speedometer from 90 to 150 mph fried. I popped in the bulb that I had left over from the shift-up light and all went well... I drove the car today and everything works normaly.

So in conclusion.... You can pull the bulb and everything will work fine. :)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top