SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've pulled the left side drive shaft out of my 89 16V car because the outer CV boot has broken, and I cannot get the clip holding the outer CV onto the driveshaft to stay sprung out enough to get the driveshaft out! I've tried all manner of flat screwdrivers and some circlip pliers but it's not working and I have decided to give up for today since I started wanting to break things...

There's got to be a good, foolproof way to get the clip into the right position to let the driveshaft come out of the outer CV joint, but at the moment I can't find it! The car's out of action until I get this sorted out - not good now that I've started a new job.

I'd appreciate some advice on dealing with this really stupidly simple but frustrating task! :cool: I've spent half the afternoon on it when it should only take an hour at the most.

Thanks,

Craig.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
You obviosly arn't swearing at it properly. I put them in a bench vice with the drive-shaft pointing up and use a pair of snap-ring pliers to spread the clip while pulling upward on the drive-shaft.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had to go a few places to find robust, long nosed circlip pliars for this job. The ones on left got the job done for me...

I think I got them at NAPA, not cheap ($30 as I recall). I had brought the CV w/me to test other pliars @ several shops: they opened packages and we gave it a go. All of 'em before I got these just twisted and died. :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I do have some circlip pliers like those, but I wasn't trying the job with the outer cv held vertically - that might be the key so I'll give that a go this morning. Hopefully it'll work out and I'll get the boot(s) changed. Might do the inner one too as it's a bit stiff and was difficult to get off the inner driver (it was starting to get dark too).

Craig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts