SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i purchesed my saab about a month ago and been hanging around here since. but now its starting to get chilly i was checking out the heater to see if it worked, and well it does nothing but blow out chilly air. if i do the diagnostics then i get 0 codes but the air gets warm momentarily after the diagnostics. then it slowly gets just chilly again like outside ambiant temp. any ideas dont want to freeze this winter.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sounds like a heater core malfunction, (I think I saw a similar thread on this elsewhere)...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i tried the common things such as the diagnostics auto off deal and got 0 errors uhh also coolant looks ok its a little low in the resavoir but no overheating or coolant light. so no clue what might be going on. not getting any leakage in the floor. think it might just be bad or clogged core?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Check your heater bypassvalve and the vacuum hoses - did you replace it recently? Maybe wrong mounted coolant hoses?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
He says he gets momentary warm air during diagnostics. It's checking the paddles that adjust temperature, so we know the paddles and heating system are working. To me it sounds like your cabin temperature sensor isn't working correctly, OR the sensor that takes the temperature of the air entering the cabin isn't working correctly. Neither of those would throw a code on the ACC. Is the problem just on one side of the car? Or both?

To remove a cabin temperature sensor:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of the sensors and neither side gets warm nor the back but when you put it on high doesnt it bypass those sensors? and is there any way to test the sensors? also the relay for the compressor is out because the compressor is bad would that cause any problems?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
likestosaab said:
I was thinking of the sensors and neither side gets warm nor the back but when you put it on high doesnt it bypass those sensors? and is there any way to test the sensors? also the relay for the compressor is out because the compressor is bad would that cause any problems?
No, it shouldn't. You should still get warm air, but it will just not be dehumidified by the a/c condenser.

I guess it's a possibility that your whole ACC unit is malfunctioning. If you have the means to loan a spare from someone momentarily and see if that fixes it, we could eliminate that.

The reason I know it's not a mixed air temperature sensor is that there are 2 and it would be very rare that both would go out.

I know it's not your coolant by-pass valve because your still getting heat on calibration.

It could be your heat exchanger shut-off valve, but if there were a short or open circuit then you would throw a 18 code. This is what makes me think that maybe the ACC unit is failing on you:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm dont know anyone that has another 9-5 so no way of trying that out unless you want to send yours :p but i guess i can keep an eye out on ebay and try to find one cheaply. ill double check tonight and just make sure it is infact getting warm during diagnostics and im not delusional

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea just went out and checked and its definatly gets hot right after diagnostics. then it just slowly goes back to cool dont understand it

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
likestosaab said:
ok so i can buy one on Ebay for 29.95 plus Shipping should i go for it?
Wait, clarify: ACC unit? If yes, then yes, that's a great price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, it was the climate control unit. i went ahead and picked it up should be shipped out wensday. We shall see.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so i got the new climate control unit and now im getting code 19 i know i saw a description of all the codes some where but cant find it now

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well as far as i can tell the circulation pump seems to be a v6 thing correct me if im wrong but this leads me to beleive that my acc unit is fine and there is something amiss some where else. i reinserted the ac relay to check if that may be a problem but we shall soon see. Any more suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Alright, so this is what I found:

The ACC unit you got off of eBay is from a V6, and must be programmed to know that your car doesn't have a circulation pump. Since it thinks your car DOES have a circulation pump, but it can't find it, your throwing a 19 code. I wouldn't spend the money to have it programmed, however, because if your still not getting hot air, then the ACC isn't the problem.

After spending about an hour looking around the WIS, I found this information:

However, it says that if that shut-off valve had failed, you would be getting an 18 error code, which you are not.

This kind of has me scratching my head, your not throwing any error codes, your ACC module is fine, you get heat when calibrating, and your not leaking coolant. Anyone see anything I'm missing? :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so i have some new information and a theory. first off today when i got to work after say a 1 1/2 hour drive there was some steam from under hood so ofcourse i pop it up and notice that the radiator cap is gone and coolant is bubbling. now last night i took off the cap and let it run for a bit to see if maybe i had some significant air in the system but no avail and put cap back on and possibly not tight enough i guess. now the theory i had yesterday is that when i started car from cold i felt upper rad hose and it felt free flowing as if the therm was stuck open possibly. i read somewhere on here that the 9-5 doesnt let head come out until the car is fully warm. so i was thinking maybe the coolant isnt getting to the predetermined (normal temp)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
So now you have, a ACC panel from a V6, a fault for a part thats not even fitted, no coolant reservior cap, and a suspect thermostat problem :eek:

You must be getting fed up with the thing :confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have got to admit its not making me love it anymore :x

1 - 20 of 45 Posts