SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I will most likely be getting a saab in a month or so from a family member and just had a few questions. Its a 2000 9-5 automatic 2.3 base model. It also had the turbo replaced with the td04. I've read the tuning/ read this first stuff about performance etc, but I have a couple more questions.

Someone I know does alot of tuning and has their own 9-5 aero that they have done alot of playing with will help me get more familiar with turbos/saabs in general. I have a couple random questions:

I was going to cut out the stock exhaust and just have 2.5 piping from the cat back ( no center muffler) and then a flowmaster 10 series then tip. Will this be too obnoxiously loud/ sound not that great?
I was also going to put a drop in intake ( more for hearing the turbo spooling better) and then a stage 2 ecu tune. So with the tune and intake/exhaust is about 270-280 hp and 300 something lb/ft of torque a realistic figure or is that a little optimistic? I will be able to get it tuned by someone that actually knows the trionic system and will do it correctly. Basically its a full stage 2 from the performance/tuning guide on here.

thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
First off. Welcome to the forums and welcomes to the 9-5 tuning section ;ol;

Your exhaust question: That's a matter of personal preference... For example, I have a BSR SportFlow cat back system and I like to take the rear muffler off when I'm going to the track or hot-rodding around with friends etc... but for highway driving I find it slightly too loud...

If you plan on straight-piping all the way to the rear muffler i'd say do it in steps. First install the straight pipe, then see how loud it is and how you like it, then find the appropriate muffler to quiet it down to your liking.
(hint: do some highway cruising :eek:)

As for the tuning: I don't know much about tunes with TD04s, but I can tell you that I'd look into a GS 3" downpipe as well... it'll help with flow and overall response time

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
an intercooler would be pretty sweet, but it probably wont be in my budget. but yes stock downpipe and keeping the cats for now. I have checked out the genuine saab website and they have the 3 inch down pipe and lots of other goodies that I'd love to get.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have 3" stainless steel after the last cat, from the middle muffler back, and I have to say that it does get loud at times...but I don't mind it myself. I really like to hear the burbles and pops when downshifting, it sounds almost just like my SRT-4 did. I couldn't hear them much when I had the 3" magnaflow straight-through muffler (which in my opinion made the car sound horrible), so I had it removed.

My car sounds pretty good the way it is, but it's not for everyone. I can drive it in a way that makes it sound quieter at times, when I don't want to disturb others. If I had an auto trans, noooo, I definitely would not have done the straight pipe all the way back. Can't control the RPM's the same way. I think a lot of the guys prefer having a good sounding muffler, so I would go that route if I were you.

I wouldn't recommend Magnaflow though, they're really good on some cars but I did not like the sound on ours. There are a few good vids on YouTube of good sounding mufflers/exhaust setups on our car, if you're curious about what type of sound you would get.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Since this car is a pre-2001 non-Aero version you will want to install a new Cobra Intake Pipe. GenuineSaab sells a nice one for just over $300. Used pipes from 2001 thru 2005, or a pre-2001 Aero pipe will offer an improvement too.

The early non-Aero pipes were more restrictive than the Aero pipes which were later fitted to all engines. The aftermarket pipes are much better, but the 2006 and later Factory pipes (which require a differently machined turbo housing) are the best flowing pipes.

Photo below is of the GenuineSaab Turbo Inlet Pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies!

Does anybody have a good guess at how much horsepower/torque I can expect to get? I know the td04 gives it much more potential over the normal garret.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Since this car is a pre-2001 non-Aero version you will want to install a new Cobra Intake Pipe. GenuineSaab sells a nice one for just over $300. Used pipes from 2001 thru 2005, or a pre-2001 Aero pipe will offer an improvement too.

The early non-Aero pipes were more restrictive than the Aero pipes which were later fitted to all engines. The aftermarket pipes are much better, but the 2006 and later Factory pipes (which require a differently machined turbo housing) are the best flowing pipes.

Photo below is of the GenuineSaab Turbo Inlet Pipe.

Does the Cobra pipe offer better flow vs. the stock pipe on an 03 lpt?

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Cobra pipe does not make much of a difference until you are near 400 hp honestly and for the coin is definitely not worth the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts