SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should I watch out for? its a 1996 900 S with 134K. I know the check engine light is on and my mileage is crap. what should i keep in mind to keep from gettin hosed? Oh yeah im going to the dealer.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Bbmin7(b5) said:
what should I watch out for? its a 1996 900 S with 134K. I know the check engine light is on and my mileage is crap. what should i keep in mind to keep from gettin hosed? Oh yeah im going to the dealer.
If the check engine light is on, and you have bad fuel mileage, you'll probably need to have the oxygen sensor checked...They'll probably charge several hundred bucks for that.

It sounds as if you're not a wrencher yourself, so there are probably assorted vacuum leaks that might need attention. Hoses split or become detached from regular use and temp variation.

If it's a non-turbo S, you might still have the old-school distributor and wires setup. If so, they'll probably check the resistance of the wires and replace if necessary. That's short money for a DIYer, another couple of hundred at the dealer.

I don't know if they check timing and whatnot...

Tranny fluid might be changed if it's an autobox. A flush and fill might be $150 or so...

Brake pads? Rotors?

Jeez....essentially, the service manager will figure out what you're capable of paying, and figure out a bill from there. Who knows where that could go...

Ypu'd be much better off finding a reputable independent Saab shop and cultivating a relationship there....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh man :( i didnt know they hosed you that bad. well this is the only day i have off for awhile so i have to at least get the oil changed. damnit:cry:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
All of those things can be done with a decent manual and set of tools.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea, Do like Mike says. I have the same car and it easy to work on. You can get all the help you need here. And you'll save a ton of money too. www.Eeuroparts.com will give you a good deal on parts.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Bbmin7(b5) said:
oh man :( i didnt know they hosed you that bad. well this is the only day i have off for awhile so i have to at least get the oil changed. damnit:cry:
All dealerships do that these days. My Toyota dealership tried to pull a very fast one on me by trying to replace my spark plugs, air filter, spark plug wires and water pump. I replaced all of those 15 minutes before going to the dealership aside form the water pump! :eek: The told me those parts have to be replaced as they were never changed on that car and the car is running on 2 cylinders. In 5 minutes they got the car back together and the water pump stoped leaking! I kept the car 2 years after that and the pump never leaked until then...They never noticed the jammed parking brake cable or the bad wiper blade nor a broken light motor lift! Go figure :roll:

So yea, be careful and DIY or pay whatever they ask you to.

Not all dealerships are equal though. My SAAB dealership is top notch and they're great (So far) I actually got a free fob programming out of them and a car wash after all services and they checked my radio code for free :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh great. they burnt my starter at the end of my tune up so they gave me an 06 Cadillac to drive over the weekend. damn. i will eat my shorts if they want me to pay for that starter.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Bbmin, if you do not wish to be "hosed", go the DIY route..Many dealers will cheat you - Honda does this !; but many do not !

If DIY is out of the question, then establish a good working relationship with a local indie - a vast majority of these men are honest and hard working... But these we hear not from......they are the silent majority...Their weakness is in the fine art of communicating, not that the customer is good at all times in this area...

Burned your starter ?? Well, thats one thing I never did in 8 years of turning wrenches...I have been on both sides of the fence....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Next time you need some work done in the Portland area, let me know, my uncle has been a mechanic for 30+ years and works in the Portland/beaverton/hillsbro area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts