SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A GM press release has just anounced that employee prices will be offered to all comers on 2005 GM cars and trucks from 1 June to 5 July.

Might be a good time to pick up that cheap 9-? you've been looking for.

Not sure what effect it might have on rebates, but worth checking out if you're in the market.

·
Registered
379 Posts
definately, i will stop by the saab dealers in my area by weekend's end. this kind of deal may never happen again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Only thing that bothers me about GM's new plan is that is screws actual employees and people that normally get the discount. I mean shouldn't we be getting twice the discount now? :nono; If they take away from the rebates to do this, than it just hurts the employees that much more.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
AnF_Saab said:
Only thing that bothers me about GM's new plan is that is screws actual employees and people that normally get the discount. I mean shouldn't we be getting twice the discount now? :nono; If they take away from the rebates to do this, than it just hurts the employees that much more.
No offense ... but I'm pretty sure that GM is doing what they can to have enough business to allow you to keep your job. I would think that one month of allowing the general public to make use of your generous discounts is a lot better than getting laid off ... Would you rather get a "special" discount or keep your job?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually I think it's more of a problem of GM marking their prices up so much and then relaying on massive rebates to sell then. Basically instead of making the trailblazer priced at 26k like most the others in it's class, GM marks it up to 30k or so then slaps 3-6k in rebates onto to make people think it's a great deal. Found out GM employees do get an added bonus during this promotion though.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
what a stupid campaign in my opinion.. give it a classier name then... hey get the discount our employees get!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
saabusa.com is down. (it's friday, the 3d. i've been trying since around 5pm.) there must be a lot of action because of this promotion.

i wanted to check the website for the 9-3's, "official" m.s.r.p. on a "linear with sunroof," as the local dealer quoted these numbers:

$30,490 (m.s.r.p)
- 2,797 (employee discount)
$25,193 (sales price)

...seems tempting, and worthy of the next step--tomorrow's test-drive.

p.s. i just checked the website and it's now back up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sethsev7n said:
what a stupid campaign in my opinion.. give it a classier name then... hey get the discount our employees get!!
Judging by the numbers, i don't think 9x (above) finds it to be so stupid. One sixth off. Worthwhile in any language, I'd say.

9x, let us know how you go.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
oh no im not saying that giving a discount is stupid, quite the contrary. Just from a marketing perspective the title they gave the discount doesnt seem very classy to me imho. I dont see MB running campaigns titled like that.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sethsev7n said:
oh no im not saying that giving a discount is stupid, quite the contrary. Just from a marketing perspective the title they gave the discount doesnt seem very classy to me imho. I dont see MB running campaigns titled like that.
Point taken. But I guess GM has a wider demographic that it's trying to appeal to.

·
Registered
180 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Actually around here MB does run print ads featuring Chrysler employee discounts. Mostly just on the C230 but ocassionally on the E and CLK's. "You pay what we pay, not a cent more"... well until we start ripping you off again in July :cheesy: Didn't realize that the GMS price on the 9-3SS Linear was $22,681 paid more than that for a Grand Prix a couple years back :cry:

·
Registered
99 Posts
AnF_Saab said:
Actually around here MB does run print ads featuring Chrysler employee discounts. Mostly just on the C230 but ocassionally on the E and CLK's. "You pay what we pay, not a cent more"... well until we start ripping you off again in July :cheesy: Didn't realize that the GMS price on the 9-3SS Linear was $22,681 paid more than that for a Grand Prix a couple years back :cry:
Are saying I can get a 9-3SS for $23k right now...?
:p

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
From a marketing standpoint it's a GOOD move.
All us non-GM employees always hear about this great and wonderfull discount you get when you're an employee. Then they finally come along and say "everyone can have that "mythical and wonderfull" discount for one month!"

They should do well with this one... :cool:

$32,926.00 Saab 9-3 Linear Convertible. :eek:
Hmmmmm......
Do you get 8% off that for EDP!?!?

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Well with all the griping about this, SaabUSA site now says:

"Saab Employee Discount for Everyone Event From now until July 5, 2005, enjoy the Saab Employee Discount on all 2005 Saab vehicles. For the first time in history, everyone in America gets the Saab Employee Discount. You pay what we pay. Not a cent more. At participating dealers only."

Oooh, wonder if classy Saab employees also get discounts on Grey Poupon :lol: (age-related joke)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
AnF_Saab said:
alright, alright.. just one person's opinion
:cheesy:

·
Registered
235 Posts
AnF_Saab said:
Maybe it's not the case, but that strikes me as a stereotypical union member type comment. Always looking at what's in someone else's pocket. What does it hurt you if someone else pays less?

Does it occur to you that if they don't give this discount to non employees, the company could continue to have unsold cars, and employees could wind up UNEMPLOYED after they close a factory here and there due to huge oversupply of vehicles? I don't think a double discount on your personal vehicle would be that welcome if it came with unemployment checks.

I'd also add that this promotion specifically is what has me even CONSIDERING a GM vehicle purchase right now. I have an '03 9-3 and a pickup and need a 3rd cheap vehicle. I'd never even considered another 9-3 since I figured it'd be in the mid-upper 20's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brucec32 said:
Maybe it's not the case, but that strikes me as a stereotypical union member type comment. Always looking at what's in someone else's pocket. What does it hurt you if someone else pays less?
Naw I'm not UAW, god no. I don't really have a problem with GM's attempts to sell more vechiles but they always seem like short term solutions instead of getting to the root of the problem. Looked through the paper today and noticed that the "new" GMS price was actually $1-4k greater than it was the previous month on several models. (Cobalt, Malibu, Aveo went up 1k... G6/Grand Prix 2k, Buicks went up 3-4k...etc)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts