SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how difficult it is to remove the interior section of the moon roof on my 93 9000. The head liner section keeps falling off. Clearly, a new headliner would be nice, but for now I want to pull the hand slider piece out and clean of the foam and clue and perhaps paint it. What does it take to get the slider out? a total dismantle of the whole sunroof?

·
Registered
630 Posts
You'll unfortunately have to drop the headliner and take out the whole sun/moon roof cassette just to get to the slider cover.

There is no way to get it out with it in the car.

The sun/moon roof pan is bolted to the roof of the car. It's a two person job to get it out. The drain hoses on each corner are a PIA to get off.

Once it is out, there are two retaining tabs at the end of the slider track that can be bent up slightly to allow the slider cover to be removed from the track.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Luckily, it is not that hard to remove the interior sliding panel. I posted the following a while back in my 'notes on headliner installation':

- Sunroof slider. I never found a writeup about removing this piece without bending things or taking the whole sunroof out of the car, but IT IS POSSIBLE and not hard. First remove the glass (see threads on this). Then remove all the phillips screws you can see from above on the tracks (6 each side) and the track cover pieces (two on each side). Grab the crazy tilt-retract mechanism (which is blocking the slider board from coming out) and slide it towards the front of the car (the cables will flex upward). It will come out easily. Set all this hardware to the side (on the roof) without disconnecting anything. Now the plastic trim piece for the glass and the sunroof slider board can slide forward and up. NOTE: after the glass is removed, all the above steps are done from outside the car (from the top). Reassembly is the reverse. It is easy and fun.

It sounds complicated, but only takes about 15 minutes (probably longer the first time).

good luck!
--brendan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts