SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting the Anti-Roll Bar from Genuine Saab, but I don't know what size to get/is best for my set up. Right now my car has B+G springs, Koni dampers, steering rack clamp and brace, urethane bushings, and a basic sub frame brace. What bar do you think is best for my set up, the 22mm or 25.5mm "race only" one?

Right now I'm not doing any track stuff, but I plan on doing some autox in the future, if it matters or not.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the rear shock tower brace from Saab Savior, is it worth it/help body flex at all?

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
771 Posts
white96850turbo said:
So, I'm getting the Anti-Roll Bar from Genuine Saab, but I don't know what size to get/is best for my set up. Right now my car has B+G springs, Koni dampers, steering rack clamp and brace, urethane bushings, and a basic sub frame brace. What bar do you think is best for my set up, the 22mm or 25.5mm "race only" one?

Right now I'm not doing any track stuff, but I plan on doing some autox in the future, if it matters or not.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the rear shock tower brace from Saab Savior, is it worth it/help body flex at all?

Thanks,

Brandon
i would go for the "race only" one lol, its not that stiff imo, and if your looking at doing some auto-x the car is already gonna be understeering on ya anyways

I made a rear shock tower brace, but i couldn't tell you alone how much it stiffened up the chasis as I already had chasis stiffening componets on my car

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
white96850turbo said:
Hi Brandon....The difference between 22 and 25mm is HUGE. The 22mm is recommended for lowered cars that already have stiff springs, while the 25 is ok for those without stiffer springs OR for race applications...

If your car is daily driven, I'd think twice about having both stiffer lowering springs and the 25mm ARB. Several folks have run with the stock springs and the 25mm bar and they love it....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've not found any problems with the thicker rear bar. I was worried it may induce dangerous oversteer but it's very neutral and a bit of tweaking of tyre pressure and or shock settings has much more effect in this area respect. Also it depends on what your front ARB is - I think that SE models had a thicker one that other models. Mine's certainly the same thickness as the rear.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike saunders said:
Hi Brandon....The difference between 22 and 25mm is HUGE. The 22mm is recommended for lowered cars that already have stiff springs, while the 25 is ok for those without stiffer springs OR for race applications...

If your car is daily driven, I'd think twice about having both stiffer lowering springs and the 25mm ARB. Several folks have run with the stock springs and the 25mm bar and they love it....
No, the car is not my daily driver, I have my Volvo for that..... So, you would recommend the 22mm one?

Do you guys think that with the 22mm bar and a rear strut tower brace (along with my other upgrades) I would have a good set up for auto-x? Are there some other suspension things I should be considering?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have the 25mm and Lowered springs. I love the feel of the car. Mine is also a daily driver. When I spoke to Nick T. at GS, he told me that since I have the 02 SE HOT, that meant I had beefed up front sways as well, so the 25mm wouldn't be too much.

I recomend this part as it made the biggest difference in the handling.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9-3sleeper said:
I have the 25mm and Lowered springs. I love the feel of the car. Mine is also a daily driver. When I spoke to Nick T. at GS, he told me that since I have the 02 SE HOT, that meant I had beefed up front sways as well, so the 25mm wouldn't be too much.

I recomend this part as it made the biggest difference in the handling.
Does the car seem to ride any different/worse than before?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would go with the 25mm bar, I went the 22mm route was not entirely happy and then added the stock bar in tandem with the 22mm unit. I also have Eibach lowered springs and konis and find the ride is very good, firm but not harsh. Car now tends towards oversteer and feels great. I use it in Hill Climbs etc as well as being a daily driver for my wife.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It fits on my forehead and stops my eyes from rolling when I see a question like this from someone trolling on this forum:roll: - for you the thicker bar is needed!

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
mrbelly said:
what does an anti roll bar do?
It prevents the body roll on the back side of the car. Some SAAB models have somewhat sloppy suspension design that make a car feel sloppy on corners and downright dangerous sometimes especially when spirited driving is involved :cheesy:

The stiffer bars reduce that roll. The thicker the bar, thge less flex you have so if you're racing upgrade from the 19mm to 25 mm. for normal driving the 22mm should be ok. The Viggen has a standard 22m bar IIRC

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I would suggest matching the front bar to whatever you get. The 22 is good with the 19mm and 22mm front bars. As far as I know all 900s had 19mm bars in front, Viggens got 22, and 9-3ses got 24. To much bar out back, and not enough in the front will make the car impossible to drive competitivly on a course.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tweek's Turbos said:
I would suggest matching the front bar to whatever you get. The 22 is good with the 19mm and 22mm front bars. As far as I know all 900s had 19mm bars in front, Viggens got 22, and 9-3ses got 24. To much bar out back, and not enough in the front will make the car impossible to drive competitivly on a course.
So what sized front roll bar do I have in front if I have a 1996 900se Turbo?

I hope that I don't have to return this bar.....I just ordered the 25.5mm last night.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think the 1998 SE through the OG93 have the 24 in the front. I can tell you for a fact that my 1998SE has the thick front bar, I use the 25.5 in the rear and it is nice. Have a look under your car, the difference between 19mm and 24mm is noticable with the eye.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
white96850turbo said:
So what sized front roll bar do I have in front if I have a 1996 900se Turbo?

I hope that I don't have to return this bar.....I just ordered the 25.5mm last night.
You'll be fine....:)

You have the thicker front SE bar.

The only real problem is with having a really thick rear bar and stiffer springs. The spring rate of that combo sometimes makes the rear-end hop around on bumps, negating some of the advantage of having the thicker bar.

If you have decent roads in your area, and if the car isn;t going to be adaily driver, then definitely go for it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mike saunders said:
You'll be fine....:)

You have the thicker front SE bar.

The only real problem is with having a really thick rear bar and stiffer springs. The spring rate of that combo sometimes makes the rear-end hop around on bumps, negating some of the advantage of having the thicker bar.

If you have decent roads in your area, and if the car isn;t going to be adaily driver, then definitely go for it.
Ok, good, yea the car isn't my daily driver, but I do have some rough roads around my area, but they aren’t too bad so I hope I'm ok. Thanks for the help guys; I really had no idea on what one to get.

-Brandon

·
Registered
342 Posts
My wife ordered me the 22 mm for xmas (along with a Forge diverter I hope!). How cool is that? I debated about getting the 25 but I figure I can always stack the old one together with the new one if I want to stiffen it up even more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts