SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a '99 9-3 SE. I've noticed the boost never gets more than 1/2 way (straight up and down). I'm wondering if this is factory default and if I can get more boost without tuning the ECU?

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I've a '99 9-3 SE. I've noticed the boost never gets more than 1/2 way (straight up and down). I'm wondering if this is factory default and if I can get more boost without tuning the ECU?
If you have lpt, that is right.
Best (and safest) way is tune ECU.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably do. I do have a red ignition cassette but I'm not sure how that relates to which turbo I have

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Red DIC is correct for Trionic5. All T5 use red DIC.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
On the '99 base cars they had the garret t17 the high output SE had the T25, I would think the gauge would work the same whether you had either turbo,?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
IIRC there is a tiny difference - a needle's width or two - between base and HOT. But straight up and down is base boost.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find it odd that Saab would have on their dial, non critical boost range that the car couldn't achieve
I had the same year 9-5 and the needle would stop exactly between the white a red

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Nonetheless they did on LPT models. But that isn't yours, since they weren't sold in the US. You are stuck in base boost.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless I get an ECU upgrade...

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
I think you should fix the problem that's causing base boost first. Is the check engine light on? Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Yeah, you will still be stuck in base boost with an upgrade. Base boost means a basic aspect of boost control isn't working. Set the ceiling higher won't change the defect.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
987 Posts
I suggest you check the condition of your vacuum hoses, and any PCV check valves to be safe.
Remember boost is limited in 1st and 2nd gear.
I assume your SE is a manual - and not an auto?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Auto. My preference was foe a manual but they are hard to come by in Texss

·
Registered
293 Posts
Auto. My preference was foe a manual but they are hard to come by in Texss
This answers the HOT or not question...all 1999/T5 HOTs are 5-speed. The other easy ID is the intercooler...the 1999 HOT has the cross-flow, all others have the counter-flow. This is 1999/T5 specific.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I chased a low boost issue on my 1999...it can be frustrating, so you must be methodical. WIS has some procedures for checking base boost and full boost. I suggest buying a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader and the Torque app (Android...don't know what the apple equivalent is)...that will give you actual numbers (as reported by the ECU).

Start with vacuum hoses. A shop with a smoke machine can do a quick smoke check (this can reveal holes in the intercooler, loose clamps, etc.). There are ways to test the boost controller. Etc. When I get home I can dig out some of my notes, but these tests are pretty well known and should be thoroughly covered in this forum.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In the US at least, all 1999 9-3s had the T25. The difference between the HOT and not-HOT was software and the intercooler.
Not actually true, on a base model 9-3 it came with the T17 turbo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts