SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I'm looking for ideas about an upgrade on my turbocharger and would like to get some ideas on on the console I want to get navigation system and a car stereo that works with my phone so i can use pandora. Any help is great thanks

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Audio:

Any double-din GPS/Navigation system is reasonably straightforward to put into the early 9-5's before they changed the dash. more difficult but not impossible there.

see this:

http://saabworld.net/f29/aftermarket-audio-head-unit-installation-saab-9-5-a-84/

Turbo:

Non-aero people can put the Mitsubishi TD-04 into their cars and then tune the ECU to be Aero-spec and maybe a bit more. If you want to go much further you need more mods than just the turbo. The mitsubishi turbos with the plumbing necessary to get the water/oil to work right are often for sale in the classified section of the forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
New here and have a question about the turbo on my 98 900 se...it went out once and got a junkyard one for two hundred now having the same problem again and thinking I should attempt to rebuild the one I have so I'm not buying one that is sub par again. Anyone out there with any rebuild experiences that could give some advice and maybe point me toward a good rebuild kit?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Wrong forum but...

There are several Youtube videos on how to rebuild turbos, they're all pretty much the same except how they're held together.

sweedishdynamics has the kits for most saabs, as do a number of sellers on ebay. The job is not that difficult, just keep clean and take your time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply.I have watched some videos on how to do a rebuild but there seems to be a little confusion on whether you need to have it balanced or not. Some say yes...some say no. Have you done one yourself? If so did you have it balanced?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I have not done one

But if I did I would not have it balanced. As long as you mark it and put it back the same way it should not be an issue. The nut is at the center so even if that changes it's not going to have an impact.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have not done one

But if I did I would not have it balanced. As long as you mark it and put it back the same way it should not be an issue. The nut is at the center so even if that changes it's not going to have an impact.
I did one, and I did have it balanced but that was because I didn't mark it ahead of time (amongst other issues). I actually took the one I had to a shop to assess whether it needed a rebuild and then did the rebuild myself (after they took it apart).

So, I guess I'd echo UncleMiltie. Mark it before you take it apart and make sure it all lines up when you put it together. It's a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks...mine is doing the scream thing and pouring smoke...will a rebuild kit fix that? I hope because I just ordered one about an hour ago

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe...

It should, but it depends on whether the compressor wheel or the turbine wheel have damaged the housing. If only the seals failed (which they did) then you can rebuild it. But if when the seals failed the bearings also failed and allowed parts to move too much, then the wheels and/or the housings will be damaged and it's all over. In that case, you'd need a new CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) and/or the compressor housing.

The good news is from what I've read that's not super common. Probably the new seals and bearings in the rebuild kit will do it. Even if not, you can probably pick up another one without that kind of damage to rebuild for not much money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts