SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gearshift knob is starting to perish around the emblem, ie the plastic is cut in a semi circle around the emblem. While I could replace it the procedure outlined by Munki on this website looks somewhat scarey. Any suggestions on how to mend the actual plastic, would clear nail polish work? Or is it possible that without replaciing the entire knob, coulld I get the plasitic bit off and replace it with one from a scrap yard without replacing the entire knob?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Clear nail polish, I think, may be similar to clearcoat, but it will not hold up to the sun's ultra-violet rays.But this nail stuff may be fine for an interior application..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Or, you could replace it with the Viggen emblem shift knob cover, found on the Genuine Saab web site. I got one for my Viggen, and I like the way it looks..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This isn't a Viggen though, is it quincy? Sorry, but I wouldn't reccomend the switch to Vig emblem if its not. I'm sure just a replacement knob will be fine. Once you get the shifter out its easy. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all --no its a straight 900S. I could try the nail varnish-if that doesent work its only 20 pounds + VAT to fit a new one (plus 17 for the part) from a saab dealer.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
stromer said:
This isn't a Viggen though, is it quincy? Sorry, but I wouldn't reccomend the switch to Vig emblem if its not. I'm sure just a replacement knob will be fine. Once you get the shifter out its easy. :D
Yeah, I suppose you're right... But I bet there's someone over there in teh UK with the 'shift pattern' hanging from their monitor at work like I have... Who could ship it over to you cheaply (dont think it's worth mailing this all the way to the UK when they're everywhere... but if you want it...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've just finished replacing my gearknob. Munki's instructions do look a bit scary, but I managed to do it in 20 minutes (cleaning up afterwards not included ;) ) and I can only be described as an average DIYer. As mentioned, the difficult part is sawing off the white plastic but it's OK if you have a good junior hacksaw and a bit of patience.

One thing I didn't follow in the instructions was to glue the new knob on (I actually had to hammer it in).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts