SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me 16s has taken a sudden likeing for gearbox Oil, to the point that in the last 4 weeks I've had to fill the box twice,

anyone got any idea where it's going ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
any large wet spots under your car...say around the gearbox portion? Any leak looking spots around the actual tranny (like a seeping crack)?
and is the plug in all nice and tight? ...along with the one where you fill it.
-alex

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Go under and have a look, it could be the gasket or a leak up front or the diff cover, you can put paper under the car and wait.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Also check the shift rod seal. That is where mine leaked. The rubber was so hard, it could have passed for hard plastic. IT is a &^%$$^ to get to, but I was able to change it without too much trouble. Must go often, because the local dealer had them in stock. Don't forget to get a new tapered pin bolt too, you might need a new one before you are done.

·
Registered
424 Posts
All mine have had a snotty shift shaft seal when I acquired them--tends to drool down onto the exhaust pipe--upon exiting after sporting driving I got a waft of eau de hypoid. When more advanced, a puddle forms under the car after it sits for a bit. A look underneath reveals a blackend exhaust pipe.

My local wizards concur that replacing them is not a favorite task. A pretty red Carlson was in on their lift when I went in one day--seal was so cooked it came out in little tiny pieces--took two days to get that one squared away......

Better luck to you!:D

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Gabby said:
My local wizards concur that replacing them is not a favorite task....--took two days to get that one squared away......
That was one of my favorite jobs.
It took 10 minutes, warranty paid 1.3 hours.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jim,

You must have a powerful "stink eye"--glare at it and it fair jumps out of the gear box and flys off the shaft stub! What is your secret?? :D

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Gabby said:
What is your secret??
Use a long skinny screwdriver (with the car on your lift) to gently, evenly tap the seal out (using the lip on the seal that's there for that purpose). Use the special tool and a big prybar to seat the new seal (some deep sockets can be made to work, but the special tool is great).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts