SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An odd issue this morning. Driving out of the garage, I notice a squealing sound on acceleration and the car is feeling like it's in 3rd gear. Is this limp home mode? Pulled over with gearbox and SRS lights flashing.

Minor thing yesterday when starting, it reved oddly and then stalled. No problem after that. Normally, idling is fine and starts first time, every time.

cheers

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Absolutely do the battery/charging system service.
Sounds like a drive belt slipping, but this is nearly impossible.
Do check the serpentine belt and its pulleys.
You may have accidentally engaged the winter-time drive which starts off the car in a higher gear than normal and prevents wheel slippage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks earthworm. Will check the winter time setting.

Ever since I had the belt and pulley kit done a couple of years ago, when the engine is cold (i.e overnight) on first starting there is an odd squealing sound that as if the belt is somehow tightening itself for a couple of seconds, then it's fine. I asked the mechanic at the time and he said it was likely because it was a new belt and it was settling in or something. Sounded like he had no idea! It's made this sound ever since, only when starting in the morning.

The battery was replaced not more than 6 months ago. Hopefully that should be fine.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You might try spraying the belt with some WD-40 while the engine is running. If the nose stops, it's the belt. Never spray any of that "belt quiet" stuff on the serpentine belt, as the flat side of the belt will squeak where it rubs on the flat tensioner pulley... Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.