SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my gearbox on my 1995 900se turbo manual. I have been through all the FAQ’s and still don’t have the answer.

Recently I decided to do the fix on my linkage by adding tape to the worn parts of the gear selector; I also fitted a new clutch cable.

When all was reassembled all seemed well was selecting gear really well until after a couple of miles I could not get into fourth. After stopping it appeared to be that the gearbox was locked because as I let the clutch out it just stalled (and not the kind that I was in too high a gear).

After getting the car home I played about with the selector and managed to get my gears again except when I selected fourth it would just jump out with a grind, it would select fourth okay but just jumps out.

If I hold the gearstick and drive whilst in fourth it stays and drives ok.

All the mentions in the FAQ’s is for a fault with reverse but mine appears to be no problem in reverse.

So as it stands I have all forward gears bar 4th and also have reverse. Sometimes it has done this lockup again where the car just stalls.

My question is what could cause this? I cannot believe it is just circumstance that this occurred after carrying out the work on the selector. Could I just need to play about with the selector adjustment may it be that it is not engaging 4th correctly?

Also I was going to fit a replacement box but that has fallen through after getting the wrong box and now can’t get another.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As I am sure you have feared, a rebuilt transmission will run $$$$

easily. You have done the right thing by assuring the the clutch and linkage are good.
But do not forget the engine/transmission mounts - these must be serviceable.
The fourth gear synchronizers are worn out and probably a lot more..
I milked mileage (165K plus miles) from the '79 900 transmission by using a synthetic 75-90 manual transmission fluid...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts