SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dreaded Gearbox malfunction error came up when I was driving home today...I ran a few errands and as I came to a red light driving up my street I felt the car jump as it came to a stop...Then as I accelerated from the red light I felt another jump as it shifted gears and all of a sudden the message came up and the CEL as well...

I know there are a bunch of other threads, but I was just wondering if anyone had any update on what the service manager or SAAB might do if anything at all...Also curious what it will run me if it is indeed the Tranny / Radiator???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had this happen a few times now on my 03 9-3 Vector ...

It reads in the SID as Gearbox malfunction limited performanace see Saab Dealer.

The gearbox module which I vaguely remember as the SLT module looses its connection to the bus. The tech just needs to add it and you are running again.

This just happend to me yesterday (again) but I guess its on the bus because I don't see a message in the SID today.

I think I saw the message every 15-20k miles. Last couple of times it was added. This time around I think it fixed itself.

Nothing to worry about here ... a software glitch!

My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
The jumping concerns me. I've had the gearbox light on for a few days once, but the car shifted just fine. Take it in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You should have them (Saab) check the build date of your car. The earlier '03 models had the faulty radiator. On my '03, the jumping sometimes happened when it went into limp mode. I eventually had to have the tranny replaced. Cost I think was well over $4K but I was lucky that Saab replaced it at 90k miles, well past warranty. Have your service dept. check out what caused the fault. There are some sensors in the transmission that get ruined by the engine coolent getting into the tranny. This is the first sign of this problem. If you do have a bad radiatior, it may not be too late to flush the tranny and replace the radiator. Are you past warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 80k miles, OOW. Yeah, I'm gonna give the dealer a call tomm...I'm actually away at school, so I won't be able to take it to my normal dealer...I also did have the limp mode problem happen on atleast 3 occasions in the past year or so...Ugh : /

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally took the car into the dealer today. So the verdict is that my transmission fluid is filthy, and 1 of the speed sensors is corroded. They also did the "couplings" for the "service campaign"...The total cost = $720...

I also specifically asked to make sure there was nothing going on with the radiator, or whether it was leaking or anything to that extent...Apparently no, it's fine. The dirty fluid / speend sensor isn't a sign that's going to lead to the horrid tranny fluid problem is it...? Well if not I'm quite relieved to escape with that bill. :)

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Have you kept to your maint. schedule? I believe 60k Service should have changed Transmission fluid.

Had there been a coolant/trans fluid contamination it would have been spotted immediately. The Dirty Fluid is just lack of maintainence.

·
Registered
138 Posts
They replaced the couplings and about 5 speed sensors on my '03 9-3 before determing the tranny needed to be replaced due to the contamination. If you have another speed sensor go out in the next few months, I would be wary of the contamination issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts