SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gearbox is on its way out... the driveshafts seem to have a fair bit of play in them and the box is starting to whine at high rpm's....

What I want to know is, are the box's from a 9000 Aero compatible with my 9-3 Aero (2002) and if so are they good to use or too weak?

I did think about a Muptun 6-speed... but at about £2250 I thought otherwise!!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
In Sweden there are numerous gm900/9-3 with the Getrag F28 from the Calibra and at least one (that I can think of now) 9-3 Aero Cabriolet that runs the F40 gearbox.
The F28 should fit with only minor mods, threads on this can be found in the Swedish Turboclub forums, only in swedish:confused:
The F40 needs a lot more work to fit.

But unless you are planning on some serious power upgrades the stock gearbox is just fine. Of course there would be a good opportunity to streangthen it before putting it in to make it withstand more abuse.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What about the ratio in the diff. I have heard on hear were people wanted to run an N/A box in a turbo but it wigged out the ECU causing limp home mode. The axle ratios being different makes the ECU think something is wrong. Is this false?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Corn Cob said:
What about the ratio in the diff. I have heard on hear were people wanted to run an N/A box in a turbo but it wigged out the ECU causing limp home mode. The axle ratios being different makes the ECU think something is wrong. Is this false?
That is correct, an ECU change or MBC is required to get around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts