SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

2004 9-5 Areo.

Am I right that there is some sort of kit for modifying the gearbox to improve changes. I'm sure I recall reading something somewhere, or am I mistaken ?

I've had the oil changed, but am still not very impressed with the stubborn, sticky gear changes :roll: . Is this a "feature", or worn parts/ linkage alignment/ clutch issue ?

cheers :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
From memory there is an updated internals kit for the manual and also the sport tranny mount that GenuineSaab sells is also well thought of.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Karl said:
Hello all,

2004 9-5 Areo.

Am I right that there is some sort of kit for modifying the gearbox to improve changes. I'm sure I recall reading something somewhere, or am I mistaken ?

I've had the oil changed, but am still not very impressed with the stubborn, sticky gear changes :roll: . Is this a "feature", or worn parts/ linkage alignment/ clutch issue ?

cheers :cheesy:
I've got a 2003 9-5 Aero. I hate to disappoint but it's a SAAB "feature" unfortunately. :cry: The shifter is notchy, imprecise, sloppy, and not to mention the throws are too long. IIRC, the gearbox internals were upgraded in 2003, but I can't tell.

Two things will help quite a bit:
poly trans mount

short shifter

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
This has been a Saab trademark since a loooooong time ago.

I too found the 9-5 5-speed to be very notchy just like the old Saabs. This is partly why I went for the Automatic:confused:

Not to offend anybody; however, there is a "proper way" to drive these cars:

-You MUST not rush gear changes. A shift should be a 2-second process. A brief pause between gates is critical to imporve feel and reduce wear.

One you "get the hang of it" the car will shift like butter.

Double Clutching and Declutching is another skill that can be easily picked up and mastered within a few months of driving. This will mostly eliminate the use of the syncro and you will feel like a "pro" with youre new smooth changes. I double clutch on my 900s ALWAYS. I go easy in 1st and 2nd, and boost high in gears 3+4+5 and take my 2 second shift (unless I get a perfect double clutch, then you can nearly slam a gear)....this is not easy.

Always select a forward gear before reverse to keep that gear from breaking apart.

You could try some research on a high quality syncromesh fluid. In the 900 workshop we put Honda MTF in our old clunky transmission to bring the life back, it can transform the car. I wonder if you can use Honda MTF in a 9-5?

Remember: Gentle even pressure when engaging a gear into a gate. There should be gentle even pressure and a "thump thump" in to gear.

You can select 2nd/5th/4th before selecting 1st to make a smooth change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts