SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a NG900, 1995. I've had a problem engaging reverse, a new linkage is on order, but in the event of the linkage change not working, which gearboxes are compatible?

My instincts tell me that it might be an idea to consider sticking a 9-3 gearbox in the car, as I presume that Saab will have improved the design. Will this work?

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
You cannot use a F25 tranny from a 9000 or a 900 V6.

As far as improving things go, I've got one of the eldest new900's on earth [I'm sure of it] still original tranny, slick shift and always stable; my recent purchase 900 [one of the last, 1998 R reg] the tranny is an absolute dog, poor synchro between 2nd & 3rd pops out of gear if you 'rag it' a bit when in a corner [second] sometimes refuses reverse on the first attempt and requires a 'spin' in nuetral to get it to line up; the list goes on...

I would not assume a newer tranny will be better, even from a 9-3, though a 9-3 tranny will have the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder fitted so an upgrade there?

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
I've heard that they changed the rear engine/transmission mount on the 9-3, so if you install a 9-3 transmission, you'll have to install the newer style mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts