SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 9-3 aero with manual trans and the shift knob, obviously being loose, often pops off while I'm driving. sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way i can fix this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
its a very common problem. put it back on with a little glue. i used rtv silicone on mine and it hasn't given me trouble since, most anything should work, so use whatever is handy. Just don't put on too much, you might need to take the shift knob off at some point, so keep it reasonable.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
sorry, but lol. I wonder if something like this has ever happened in a BMW...unlikely.
Don't get me wrong I love saabs and prefer them, but the quirks and shoddy workmanship since the GM acquisition can be hilarious.

There was even a major trim dropoff between my 02 93 and my 06, which were both under GM.

·
Registered
922 Posts
LOL, this problem is soooo SAAB. I had it my 2001 9-3.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
had this prob too... I use to just stick it back on, but then during driving when I would put it into 2nd gear the handle would fly across the car and I would be left to shift with the little metal stick that it rest on... not so much fun. But, the first time it happened, I came out from work and it was just gone... thinking to myself surely no one would steal the thing I looked and found it on the floor. Myself and many others got good laughs from it though...

·
Registered
113 Posts
After than 2 years my shift knob popped off while driving. I put it back on with no glue.

The second time it popped of I noticed that it happened while I was shifting gears while finishing a corner. I think I have a bad habit of holding onto the shift knob to help conteract the centrifugal force of cornering; this is too much force on the knob and it pops off in my hand. I put it back on a second time with no glue.

Since paying attention and not holding onto the shift knob for support in corners the shift knob has not popped off since.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
give it time my friend give it time... specially with that TX heat.

After than 2 years my shift knob popped off while driving. I put it back on with no glue.

The second time it popped of I noticed that it happened while I was shifting gears while finishing a corner. I think I have a bad habit of holding onto the shift knob to help conteract the centrifugal force of cornering; this is too much force on the knob and it pops off in my hand. I put it back on a second time with no glue.

Since paying attention and not holding onto the shift knob for support in corners the shift knob has not popped off since.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sorry, but lol. I wonder if something like this has ever happened in a BMW...unlikely.
Don't get me wrong I love saabs and prefer them, but the quirks and shoddy workmanship since the GM acquisition can be hilarious.

There was even a major trim dropoff between my 02 93 and my 06, which were both under GM.

Happened to me in my 1992 5 series all the time;)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts

Just an observation.
Mine pops off usually when I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd - it usually goes flying almost into the backseat.

Was never a problem on my 03 though :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gear Shift Knob Falls Off

My gear shift knob just fell off. I had to push it back on. It is backwards, but I can drive okay. The dealer fixed it once before, but they wouldn't tell me what they did...I guess a big repair secret. I asked if they used glue. They said they used a "special glue." The first time it fell of they fixed under warranty for free. This time they said it would cost about $50. Anyone have any success using a "special glue" to get the know to stay on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem and used Glue to fix it, possibly too much. The car wont change gear at all now, im guessing Glue has gotten in behind the button mechanism, any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shifter Pops Off

I see this is an old thread but wanted to throw my 2 cents in. My shifter kept popping off when I went to second, again as someone else said, it is probably just how you pull the shifter while shifting. First time it happened, I took a paper receipt that was lying around the car, placed it over the metal shifter and jammed the knob back on. It fixed it for about 6 months. It came off again recently so this time I took a plastic bag, doubled it up so it was thicker, put it over the metal and jammed the knob on. I don't expect to have problems with it any time soon. Filling the gap with some thing like this (not glue) allows the shifter to bite on more, and if you ever have to remove it, you should be able to. Worked for me! Now if I can just get a replacement shifter knob cover as mine fell off and the 3 little tabs are ripped........

·
Registered
208 Posts
It happened to me all the time, especially on hot summer days. Then 3 years ago I put it back on with Loctite Blue. Has not come off since. Don't use Loctite Red unless you are sure you will never need to access your linkage again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I am going to try that. I jinxed myself by posting about my 'fix'. A day after posting, I went to jump into traffic when a small opening came (I figured the turbo would propel me to speed!) when all of a sudden the shifter came off again! And the spring went flying! So I kept dropping it into reverse at lights (reverse trigger did not spring back into place). Embarrassing. Whenever I see someone's reverse lights come on at the light, I think 'bad driver' or 'new driver'. Now I will give them the benefit of the doubt!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I look back on older threads to get answers. Simple fix that will not require huge amounts of effort to remove the knob if you ever want or need to for a repair.
Use a piece of thin card stock or heavy paper. The knob is held on by small groves on the knob and stick. They wear over time. Adding material helps them "grip" again. Has worked for months for me. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shifter knob falls off

Same problem as documented above - the shifter knob popped off, but can't just pop back on or glue because there was actually a plastic 1/2 inch part that fractured.

So metal + 1/2 inch plastic + knob, without the plastic there is 1/2 inch of material missing. Even if I faked it with glue and some material I feel it would just continue to fracture either between the metal and my hacked material or the hacked material and the shifter. Whew. Has anyone found a way to buy this little piece?

2006 Saab 9-3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sandy

I've got a 2011 Saab 9 3. The shift handle like many others has popped off. I have the knob and the spring. I'm just afraid to use glue as I'm worried that it will get on the spring. Someone posted about locktite blue. Anyone have the fix?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got a 2011 Saab 9 3. The shift handle like many others has popped off. I have the knob and the spring. I'm just afraid to use glue as I'm worried that it will get on the spring. Someone posted about locktite blue. Anyone have the fix?

It happened to me, and I used blue loctite to secure it, I probably used too much loctite, now the knob is like weld on the shift handle and I cannot take it out so the replacement knob and boot kit I ordered is still sitting in the shelf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts