1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9.3 1.8T SW FWD late 2006
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Issue on a 9.3 2006, gas 1.8t 5 speed.
5th pops out anytime I use the throttle (happens only under load).
Mounts are firm, linkages seem ok, why shouldn't it be otherwise? All the other gears can be perfecly selected ...
5th poping out under ANY load.
Stay in place while holding the lever (even if I hate that because it causes to force the synchromesh ring...)
A lock spring seems to be out.
Am I wrong?
Anyone to help?
Cheers,
JP

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A quick look at the 5 speed transmission shows no springs. Bent or worn 5th gear fork or lock out catch look like suspects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Okcrum!
Thank you very much for caring about my inconvenience.
I saw that 2 types of 5 speed gearbox are possible in my case. I've downloaded from e manual the part catalog but nothing obviously.
At first glance, I thought about a bad spring and ball lock but as you said, nothing to be found .
The lock out catch spring on the 5th gear seems to be bad .
I will try to unscrew the 4 and 5 gear cover inside the driver side wheelwell to see if anything noticeable.
Don't know where to look for this kind of spare... Any idea.
My local GM shop begins to hate me because they would prefer to sell me their crappy Opel...
:)
Enjoy your weekend.
Merci beaucoup.
JP

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
First thing to determine is whether you have F35 or F17 transmission. A VIN lookup at saabparts.com (sign up for account) will tell you this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes, to all of the above...I've seen them all cause this problem.

F25/F35 are not easy to work on...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear okcrum my VIN is:
YS3FB55FX71002172
I've checked on this particular site:
It is writen F35 (sounds like a fighter jet!) for the gearbox.
I really hope I could find somewhere the right gear ratio (afraid of diesel similar but not same gears...) and that it is possible to get the job done without pulling the whole thing out of the car.
I have 100 000 miles on the clock and the car had mostly highway use. No engine mod as well (0.4 bar peak boost).
Why this major part seems so weak? However I haven't see many owners of the particular complaining about the same exact fault.
The mounts or command cables are the issues most of the time.
Where do you think Ishould order the spare parts/kit from?
Thank you so much to all of you.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Before pulling the transmission, check the usual things, shifter cables, gearbox oil, motor mounts, etc. GM/Opel used this transmission in a number of cars, so parts (mostly bearings and synchros) are available, but under GM brand names.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great!
I will do that and hopefully see what is wrong .
I am going to check my part catalog if I could find the right P/Ns to order, in case.
Thank you again very much for your help.
Bon dimanche

1 - 9 of 9 Posts