SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the site,just like to say hi and need some help.
My 93 9000CSE has just develped a problem selecting 2nd gear.
I have moved the gear lever from left to right in neutral and there seems no resistance as normal.
Sometimes when changing from 1st to 2nd , the car goes into 4th gear
Is there a linkage problem?
Many thanks
Antony:D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Shine a flash light behind the engine right below the throttle body to look. If the UK spec. is different follow the shift rod from behind the 5 speed transmission. About 2 to 3 inches behind the shift rod outlet is the shift linkage. Look closely to see if it is mangled.

'93 should have the old style shift linkage. At least in the US it is so. The linkage is just a piece of square rubber sandwiched by a steel plate on either side. There are two threaded studs welded on each plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Hi Yaofeng,
Thanks for the advice.
Are they difficult to replace?
I will have a look at the linkage in the morning when light
Kind Regards,
Antony

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If it is the shift linkage, it is very easy to replace. A new piece of rubber costs $9.95 a few years ago in the US. Couldn't be much more expensive now. Four nuts to tighten using 10 mm wrench or socket.

Access is a bit tight. Remove the battery you'll have full access. If you are too lazy to remove it, it can still be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Had a look at the linkage.Seems OK.
Been out this morning and in traffic I could not get 1st and 2nd gear at all.
Does this still sound like the linkage?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If the linkage is good, you need more expert opinion from others and probably a professional. The problem may be in the transmission itself.

It is not good for the clutch if you have to start from third every time. Get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Linkage will look fine even though separated. You need to have afriend try to select first or second while you look at the coupler. It will be obvious then that the shifter is not moving the transmission selector rod properly.

I fixed mine temporarily with two cable ties (called zip ties in North America) forming a criss cross over the joint to hold it together while we got the part in and the shop could take my car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
Car is in the garage.The linkage is kaput, so waiting for the part.
Thanks all for the advice and hope to communicate again.
Many thanks,
Antony:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts