SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 900i 1996 and the gear knob is shot.
I have read a few items and from what I can see I have to use a speacial knob for lift reverse and they are a pain in the to fit.
Is this true?

I have a wood dash and would like to fit matching gear knob - possible??

Cheers

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Wood is possible, if you can find one. There were some left... a dealer may be able to order one still.

You do, in general, need a "special knob" unless you want to disable the reverse lockout. I think bogan fitted a non-Saab knob from Ebay, look for a a thread titled "my knob is soft".

·
Registered
258 Posts
That reverse thing was broken off mine when i got it. Its jsut a piece of plastic under the boot. I didnt even realize that was busted untill my friend got a 900 and i couldnt get it into reverse.:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Bogan
I'll be honest I was dubious about aftermarket ones but she looks good so will look at the link you sent.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On mine i do still have to select reverse, but there is a way to remove that so you can remove the key in any gear. I'm not sure hows its done, I just recall reading how to do it.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Removing the reverse lockout mechanism under the shifter housing, allows the key to come out in any gear.
Breaking off the 5th gear guide (or rotating the outer plastic housing of the shifter rod) allows reverse to be engaged without pulling up on the collar, this is done from above the shifter housing, though its not recommended since engaging 5th becomes a little more difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts