SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just started reconnecting up a '88 T8 that is a replacement for my '85 T8 and i've come accross the first problem, it look's like the gear change linkage on my '85 is about 1-2cm shorter than on the '88. I can only manage to get the selector about 5mm into the join.

Before I start pulling apart both cars to swap the linkage can anyone confirm what I'm thinking?

This will prob be the first post of a few...nowdowt!:roll:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. Are you talking about the clamp not reaching the shaft under the car? Do you have something aligning the shifter inside the car?... like a drill bit through the two alignment holes? If so, remove it and hopefully you can connect the linkage below the car. The gear for aligning the shifter changed after 85, which was reverse, to third gear in later years.

If you're talking about the gear shifter inside the car not fitting (the part that you hold when you shift gears is not fitting), then I would go under the car and see that the shift linkage is connected. You'll see the shaft coming from the transmission and it connects the shaft from the shifter.... they connect with a clamp.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gear linkage

The shaft from the cabin barley reaches the one on the gearbox, when i lifted the engine i just undid the cuff and moved the gearstick into 3rd so that the shaft moved back out of the way, now with the 88 engine in i can't get then back together, the gear linkage/shaft from the cabin will only go in to the cuff about 5mm rather than 15-20mm that it should go in.

Any idea's? I don't want to pull both cars apart just to check that the 2 shafts are the same if there's some other reason for them not joining up.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
one thing that's important to note- your 85 trans may not have internal centering. you can have 2 centering devices, but you must make sure you have at least one. If you put an 88 trans into an 85, you would probably have 2, one in the shifter and one in the trans. If you are installing the 85 box into the 88, you will probably not have any centering (the gear shifter will just stay at that ever side you put it at) this will be a problem because for 2-3 shifts, you will have to manualy slide the shifter over to the center (it will not just spring back).

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine/gearbox change

I've done a straight replacement, took the origional engine & gearbox out of my 1985 and put the '88 engine and box back in. The new box does centre itself as i tried to move the shaft on the gearbox side and it felt like it was spring loaded, wanted to return the the centre.

I've got to get Bentley 8v I think, Haynes just have enough info in it.

With the engine/box out of both cars the end of the shifter(from Gear stick) on the '88 sits level with the steering rack, on my 85 it's seems to be a couple of cm further back from the rack(if you look directly down into the engine bay)

Think i'm going to have to pull the shifter out of the '88 and then see if i can compare it, just makes the whole engine/box swap loads more complicated.

When i'm done I'll have to post something on the tech help bit as there's quite a few differences between the earlier and later T8 engines. It's not a matter of a straight swap.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gear change linkage -Pre/Post Front HB Models

Just incase anyone is interested, or like me daft:confused: enough to want to change an engine, gearbox + ancillaries.....

Something to remember for anyone doing the change, you'll also need to replace this.

Here's the Gear Change Linkage from a Front Handbrake pre '87 T8, and a Rear Handbrake, post 87 T8.

Off to play with my PS pump now as i realised yesterday than the hose clip on the feed pipe from the resevoir was'nt tight, gonna be fun, think i'm gonna have to jack the engine up and remove the side mount to get to it, doh! ;oops: :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts