SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Almost two years ago I picked up a brand new fully loaded 2003 9-3 Vector. Incredible styling, both on the exterior and interior, great interior layout. I was very impressed in the showroom.

When I picked up the car, it started having problems almost immediately. The final rough tally of problems is listed below:

1) Transmission breakdown (2 times, second time stuck one highway). Not fixed.
2) Sunroof not working (five attempts to fix, not fixed).
3) Noise from the engine compartment (4 attempts to fix, not fixed).
4) Noise from the wheel assembly (inner tire rods replaced, problem went away, came back, still there after 4 attempts to fix).
5) Stalling (4 instances, not fixed)
6) Driver side window (4 attemps to fix)
7) CD changer,......
8) I can go on and on.

In addition, quality of assembly was terrible, squeaks, rattles, etc, ...
I went to SAAB, opended a case and after investigating they repurchased the car. This was a clear lemon under New York law. I dropped the car off today.

It is sad that a car of this caliber had such poor quality of assembly, because otherwise the thinking that went into the car is great.

Although the ownership experience was bad because of the problems, SAAB did the right thing by repurchasing the car.

I did like being a 9-3 owner, but I do not think that my next car will be a SAAB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In Australia we do not have a "Lemon Law", however, through numerous phone calls and constant badgering I managed to convince SAAB Australia to purchase my car back. Only catch is, they replaced it with a brand new 05 model. My old car (an 04 model) had similar problems to those mentioned by you - though probably not to that extent..... This new car (picked up 3 weeks ago) has been brilliant and the difference is quite noticable. As much as I love my new car that SAAB Australia have given me, I wont be buying another one anytime soon. The 9-3's may look fantastic inside and out - but boy are they unreliable!

PS The 05 model car that they replaced my car with is already having SID problems (it blacks out whenever it pleases). But it is not bothering me in the slightest considering how well it is handling compared to my old one - which happened to handle like a shopping trolley) ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry to read about your problems. I am glad that GM did the right thing and bought it back.

All manufactuers have problem cars on occassion. Even Toyota just announced a recall of over 750,000 vehicles.

Good luck with your next vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to Bailey 78

It looks like SAAB is starting to get it right with the 05s (although the convertibles are still having problems). The 03 was the first year out and it looks like they rushed it. Engine was made in Germany, transmission was made in Japan, and electroncs were all GM. The platform is the same one they use for Chevy Malibu (global platform).

New suppliers, new production methods equals quality drop.

Hope your experience gets better from now on. I also had an option of another car, but when SAAB offered to repurchase I went for it (the potential liability may have had something to do with it. The second time transmission went, we were in the middle lane on the highway. Car was smoking, other cars had to break and go around us. Major safety issue. We called the police and they towed us off the highway, SAAB roadside assistance is not allowed on the highway).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Navigator said:
It looks like SAAB is starting to get it right with the 05s (although the convertibles are still having problems).
I didn't know that. Could you elaborate on this a little bit, please?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To: BRob2

I spoke to 2 Aero Convertible owners. Both are having problems with the roof (problems opening and closing, roof gets stuck in the "close " position, also leaking). Also squeaks and rattles (especially dash area).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Navigator said:
I spoke to 2 Aero Convertible owners. Both are having problems with the roof (problems opening and closing, roof gets stuck in the "close " position, also leaking). Also squeaks and rattles (especially dash area).
I wish you had told me that. I'm picking up my arc vert next thursday:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To: BRob2

I am sorry. Please don't get discouraged. If you surf around this forum you will find that many people are not having any problems at all with their verts.

Could some convertible owners comment please?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Navigator said:
Hello all,

Almost two years ago I picked up a brand new fully loaded 2003 9-3 Vector. Incredible styling, both on the exterior and interior, great interior layout. I was very impressed in the showroom.

When I picked up the car, it started having problems almost immediately. The final rough tally of problems is listed below:

1) Transmission breakdown (2 times, second time stuck one highway). Not fixed.
2) Sunroof not working (five attempts to fix, not fixed).
3) Noise from the engine compartment (4 attempts to fix, not fixed).
4) Noise from the wheel assembly (inner tire rods replaced, problem went away, came back, still there after 4 attempts to fix).
5) Stalling (4 instances, not fixed)
6) Driver side window (4 attemps to fix)
7) CD changer,......
8) I can go on and on.

In addition, quality of assembly was terrible, squeaks, rattles, etc, ...
I went to SAAB, opended a case and after investigating they repurchased the car. This was a clear lemon under New York law. I dropped the car off today.

It is sad that a car of this caliber had such poor quality of assembly, because otherwise the thinking that went into the car is great.

Although the ownership experience was bad because of the problems, SAAB did the right thing by repurchasing the car.

I did like being a 9-3 owner, but I do not think that my next car will be a SAAB.
Hey man, how much mileage you put on that car and which dealership u got it from cause I swear to god i got a lemon too but I got too much mileage for 2 years to get them to buy it back probably. 45,000 miles, have an 03 launch package.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To: SwizzDrums

My car had 15,000 miles on it. It was clearly a lemon because of specified number of problems and days out service as listed in the language of the law.

Below is the basic language of New York State Lemon Law:

The New Car Lemon Law provides a legal remedy for buyers or lessees of new cars that turn out to be lemons. If your car does not conform to the terms of the written warranty and the manufacturer or its authorized dealer is unable to repair the car after a reasonable number of attempts during the first 18,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first, you may be entitled to a full refund or a comparable replacement car.

Below is the link to the full text:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/cars/newcar_lemonlaw_brochure.pdf

Don't go through the dealership. It is not their car anymore, they will just direct you to call the helpline. Regardless whether your car is eligible for repurchase or not, you should call the SAAB customer help line (it on the website under "contact us") and tell them about the problems. Although your miles are high, maybe they can do something for you still.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update: Lemon Law return

After returning the 9-3 Vector I went with a Mazda 3 (2.3 Liter).

Impressions vs. 9-3:
Price- 50% less
Fuel economy- 50% better (the turbo just guilped fuel).
Interior and trunk space- less than 9-3, but spaicous enough.
Build quality- superior to SAAB.
Ride- much more solid.
Handling- not as sporty as a 9-3, but sporty and fun enough.
Options comparison- Mazda does not have leather seats, heated seats, zenons and rear sensors. Leather, heated seats and zenons would have been another $1,500, but they did not have a car so equipped in stock and I could not wait (rear sensors are not available as an option).

How can a 9-3 not deliver in build quality vs. a car that costs twice less ????

I guess "You get what you pay for" does not always work in the auto industry.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Navigator said:
After returning the 9-3 Vector I went with a Mazda 3 (2.3 Liter).

Impressions vs. 9-3:
Price- 50% less
Fuel economy- 50% better (the turbo just guilped fuel).
Interior and trunk space- less than 9-3, but spaicous enough.
Build quality- superior to SAAB.
Ride- much more solid.
Handling- not as sporty as a 9-3, but sporty and fun enough.
Options comparison- Mazda does not have leather seats, heated seats, zenons and rear sensors. Leather, heated seats and zenons would have been another $1,500, but they did not have a car so equipped in stock and I could not wait (rear sensors are not available as an option).

How can a 9-3 not deliver in build quality vs. a car that costs twice less ????

I guess "You get what you pay for" does not always work in the auto industry.
I dont think you should be generalizing. I test drove so many cars before I got my '03 Vector and not many had the smooth feeling my Vector does.

I think it was just your experience with the specific car you purchased. The Vector I bought had 26,000 miles on it when I got it and I havent had any problems since I bought it. I havent heard any rattles I havent heard any squeeks or anything weird like that. The ride quality is so smooth, far smoother than any of the 5 series BMW's (not new btw) I test drove and Mercedes C230, same with the Volvo S60.

Comparing Mazda to SAAB is like comparing apples to oranges, they just dont even compare at all, SAAB is far superior to Mazda in all aspects in my opinion and experience. I dont know much about the new line of Mazdas but I know that previous Mazdas are nothing but trouble.

My 9-3 is perfect so far, not one problem, not one complaint, and according to the previous owner, he didnt have one problem with it either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with Navigator on the quality issue. I reached a cash settlement with Saab regarding my 03 Linear Lemon Law case a couple of months ago and replaced the Saab with a TSX. I liked my 9-3 and I might have been an long-term customer if the quality control had been there. However, after 35 days in the shop for roughly 20 different issues in less than 25,000 miles, the risk of keeping the car was just too great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ArcGP said:
How do you like your TSX?
I'll offer a few comparisons between my TSX and my 9-3:

Turning circle: 9-3 > TSX (I miss the turning circle on the Saab, its about 2 feet tighter)
Acceleration: 9-3 > TSX (when turbo and auto trans decide to work together)
Manual auto stick: TSX > 9-3 (the manual shift mode on the automatic is almost as quick as a manual and is actually useful, on the Saab it seemed like it took long enough to shift that it was almost useless)
Fit and finish: TSX > 9-3
Seats: TSX > 9-3 (except for head restraint)
Stereo: TSX >>> 9-3 (not even a contest)
Interior size/cargo space: 9-3 > TSX
Reliability: TSX > 9-3 (I haven't hit 5K miles yet so I don't have much data, but zero problems so far versus about 3 problems and a tow truck ride back to dealer during the comparable mileage with the 9-3)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Karnifex said:
Comparing Mazda to SAAB is like comparing apples to oranges, they just dont even compare at all, SAAB is far superior to Mazda in all aspects in my opinion and experience. I dont know much about the new line of Mazdas but I know that previous Mazdas are nothing but trouble.
That's a bold statement. I don't have the gall to say that in this forum.

Mazda is the only carmaker that is progressive enough to use the Rotary engine in a production car. It reminds me when Saab was one of the unique few to use another revolutionary technology in a production car - a turbo.

Unfortunately, technology like variable valve timing and electric water pumps has made the technology that made Saab so unique (and relatively powerful vs. other cars about 10 years ago) obsolete. Now we are stuck with cars that have average horsepower (50% of cars sold today have more HP than 202) coupled with the burden of a turbocarger and the turbo lag to match. That's why a natually asiprated 325i has more horsepower than the 9-3, and enjoys the exact same MPG as the Saab. In addition, the 325 does not have that hesitation when you floor the pedal in an emergency situation (using trickery in a fly-by-wire system to increase intake manifold pressure in the Saab ). From a safety point-of-view, I think that instant power is more important than squeezing the most HP per cylinder out of an automobile engine (in which the 9-3 definitely has the bimmer beaten). So what if the BMW has two more cylinders? If the Saab had more exceptional gas milage vs. the bimmer, then perhaps the trade off would be worth it. It's not worth it, at least not any longer with the technology available today.

So Saab is superior than Mazda in every way possible?

Fine.

Then I can say that BMW is superior than Saab in every way possible.

Sorry for the rant and comparison with the new bimmer, but sometimes I am surprised at the tunnel vision and unilateral views of some on the forum.

I'll get back to looking for a solution to my "superior" stereo system in my 9-3, and fix my "superior" rattle in my sunroof.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I dont know but this is probably the zillionth time that I see a thread heading towards Bimmers. If you are seeing the blue-white propeller every night in your dreams, then you should go and buy one.
Dont do our Saabs injustice though..........

1 - 20 of 80 Posts