SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As an upgrade for HIGH BEAM and FOG lighting performance for the 9-2X, I am gauging interest for a possible Group Buy of HIR bulbs. The bulbs should be around $30 each and offer significant improvements to the standard 9005/06 bulbs that are in our cars. Do a search at www.s-cars.org for details, as well as the BMW Roundel forums. In a nutshell:

Bulbs use the same physical filament configuration as the stock 9005/6 series, as well as a similar mounting base. The buyer will have to slightly trim the top (center) tab of the bulb base to get it to fit into the lamp assy of a 9005/6 housing, most people have used either a dremel or a good pair of dikes.

The bulbs have a different glass envelope, they are spherical with a dichroic coating that traps infrared (heat) radiation, which is reflected back onto the
filament, increasing the filament's temperature. They operate on stock wattages. They are called HIR bulbs, and were developed for commercial farm tractors (John Deere) although another application is the C5 Corvette and the 2nd Generation Dodge Viper.

The result is a whiter (hotter color temp), significantly higher lumen output
(9012's put out about 1850 lumens, vs. about 1100 for 9006, 9011's put out about 3200-3600 vs. about 1800 for stock 9005's. For perspective, HID's put out about 4500-4800, so no, you won't outshine them.

Besides the write-ups in the BMW Roundel and the Audi //S-cars list, I can personally attest to them (okay, on my Audi //S6) that they produce boatloads of light. Unfortunately, for those of us too late to get a car with Premium package, it won't help out our LOW beams, although one of the vendors I will attempt to contact for a potential GB MAY be able to get Osaram Silverstars (parent co. of Sylvania, and no, different from the US availible Silverstars, but they hold the trademark) in H1 config (9-2X low beam) which will be some (but not alot) of improvement.

IF you are interested please post back by say, Tuesday 6/21. I need to gather approximate #'s of buyers to see what kind of deal we can get, then commitments. IF a deal is reached, you will contact the vendor directly, mention your affiliation and all is done. I will NOT handle any of your money, I don't need the hassles.

If all is good, I'll have the bulbs right as I take delivery of my car (next weekend).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a couple sets of the Oram Silverstars from www.powerbulbs.com

They have great customer service.

Rudi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be seeing if the US vendor can get them for an equal to or lesser price than powerbulbs with the GB. They are needed for the Low Beam, HIR has more output than Osram Silverstars for both the High Beam and Fog. Interested in joining the GB? Today would be the last day to express interest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Scargo said:
I will be seeing if the US vendor can get them for an equal to or lesser price than powerbulbs with the GB. They are needed for the Low Beam, HIR has more output than Osram Silverstars for both the High Beam and Fog. Interested in joining the GB? Today would be the last day to express interest.
Oops, is it too late to get in on that group buy? :cry:

Rudi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CZ-75 said:
[email protected]

Toshiba HIRs, $30/bulb.
He is one of the vendors I've already contacted, and he (amoungst others) has offered the GB a better price than his Internet Price. What is being sought is a full lighting package, but one vendor (the one whom can do a whole (or part as interested) package wants a bit more info on the fogs. When I pick up the my car Friday, I'm going to shoot a couple of pics for him (he wants a close up of the lamps themselves and a shot of the pattern at 15' (5 m)) and he'll make his total offer. Currently being sought

Lows - H1 Hi Efficiency bulbs (ex. Osram Silverstar, NOT Sylvania Silverstar)
Highs - 9011 HIR
Fog - 9012 HIR

Obviously if you have the premium package you don't need the H1s, but the other two lamps will still make marked improvements with the HIR bulbs (unfortunately, the increase in output of the Hi Eff H1's won't be as dramatic, but they're also less than 1/2 the price of HIR's and still better than stock H1's). I've used the HIR's in my Audi for over 1 year now, and I can attest to their remarkable performance. It's up to you if you join the GB (the initial #'s have already been given to the vendors, so now the discount is fixed based upon those interested).

Scargo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scargo...

Did your Audi not come with HID's? Also, just curious if you'd have any pics of your particular Audi with the HIR bulbs at night and such. Thanks.
Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scargo said:
He is one of the vendors I've already contacted, and he (amoungst others) has offered the GB a better price than his Internet Price. What is being sought is a full lighting package, but one vendor (the one whom can do a whole (or part as interested) package wants a bit more info on the fogs. When I pick up the my car Friday, I'm going to shoot a couple of pics for him (he wants a close up of the lamps themselves and a shot of the pattern at 15' (5 m)) and he'll make his total offer. Currently being sought

Lows - H1 Hi Efficiency bulbs (ex. Osram Silverstar, NOT Sylvania Silverstar)
Highs - 9011 HIR
Fog - 9012 HIR

Obviously if you have the premium package you don't need the H1s, but the other two lamps will still make marked improvements with the HIR bulbs (unfortunately, the increase in output of the Hi Eff H1's won't be as dramatic, but they're also less than 1/2 the price of HIR's and still better than stock H1's). I've used the HIR's in my Audi for over 1 year now, and I can attest to their remarkable performance. It's up to you if you join the GB (the initial #'s have already been given to the vendors, so now the discount is fixed based upon those interested).

Scargo
Thanks, but I A) don't need the bulbs because I already bought them from Bill Fox and B) don't even have a 9-2x, at least not yet. Good luck. You might try Dan Stern, but he, like Mr. Fox just gets them from CandlePower.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They (Dan Stern and Bill Fox) are two of the competing vendors. Its really up to whom can make the best package deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
igotskraped said:
Scargo...

Did your Audi not come with HID's? Also, just curious if you'd have any pics of your particular Audi with the HIR bulbs at night and such. Thanks.
Dan
In 96, NO Audi's in the US (only, go figure) came with HID's. There is a European conversion (i.e. the original set up in Europe) but it's beaucoup bucks. Some have added the post '97 A6 HID's, but I'm totally happy with HIR's, for about 1/10th the cost of the '97 HID's. As I've posted in the past, I've got about 8+ seconds of clear reflective vision at 65MPH (car stops from this speed in 3.5 seconds), and simply can't time the highbeams, there are no roads straight enough here to run out of light! HID's would add a couple of seconds of range, but the one thing I wish I had more of (not realistic due to potential glare issues for oncoming traffic) is more side to side illumination, it's quite good, but I always want more. HID's won't fix that problem, and running fogs (which have a limited increase in side to side illumination, at the expense of range) in clear weather is simply stupid. I will try to forward you a pic of the lamps later, when I have a bit more time.

Scargo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Scargo said:
In 96, NO Audi's in the US (only, go figure) came with HID's. There is a European conversion (i.e. the original set up in Europe) but it's beaucoup bucks. Some have added the post '97 A6 HID's, but I'm totally happy with HIR's, for about 1/10th the cost of the '97 HID's. As I've posted in the past, I've got about 8+ seconds of clear reflective vision at 65MPH (car stops from this speed in 3.5 seconds), and simply can't time the highbeams, there are no roads straight enough here to run out of light! HID's would add a couple of seconds of range, but the one thing I wish I had more of (not realistic due to potential glare issues for oncoming traffic) is more side to side illumination, it's quite good, but I always want more. HID's won't fix that problem, and running fogs (which have a limited increase in side to side illumination, at the expense of range) in clear weather is simply stupid. I will try to forward you a pic of the lamps later, when I have a bit more time.

Scargo
Actually it's proven that HID's really don't add a further range. They produce more light directly in front of the vehicle and more light off to the sides but most HID's, in tests, failed to shine farther than your standard Halogen Headlights. Your right about that glare they produce which in the article said was one of the biggest conerns and complaints about HID's. Go to consumer reports.org for the article. I also think DOT put published something, not sure though.

Just my .02 :)

Rudi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts