SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired three gauges that i'd like to fit to my saab.
Battery Voltage gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Turbo Boost Gauge

I plan to connect the three backlights from these gauges in parellel with the headlights/panel lights, my only concern is that i might overload the fuse for these lights.

As far as i know the cigarette lighter connection is a good place to connect the battery voltage indicator.

Where do you think is the most suitable place to connect tubo pressure pipe?

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'm guessing this isn't for the LPT - not much point in a boost gauge on one of them ;) . Just T it off the vac hose to the existing boost gauge. On my ex-LPT I put in a T piece from the junction on top of the manifold which is where I kept blowing hoses off until I got silicone. Ran it through the bulkhead and into the back of the boost gauge which sits in the centre console. What I'd like to do is fit the gauge in the light switch on the right of the dash, and put in a toggle switch somewhere else for lights. It is the white hose in the pic to the right of the arrow which curls round teh dipstick.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Now Now Jezz.... both our beasts are LPT's at heart ;oops: - we cant forget our roots after all

Helpful thread tho, as I still have to fit a boost guage, having just APC'd my mine - but unsure where to plumb it in

G:)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'm jolly proud mine is an ex-LPT. I'd be even prouder if it actually worked for more than 3 days running without something else going wrong though ;) .

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOO, I just broke the 200 post mark, Im now a senior (not sure i like that, come to think of it, makes me feel old):eek:

G

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I can also recommend a T piece inline with the original turbo vacuum line, the ones in my car always used to split and this gave me a rich mixture and black blacks plugs.

How will you add the oil gauge? i wanted to but choose a water temperature gauge instead, as really hot engines do not like head gaskets.

I added my water temp gauge to my water tank, I cheated i know but i could fit it in any other place on the engine block.

A side not.

You should not the the voltage gauge reading from the stereos ignition wire, this has a 0.8 volt to 1.2 voltage drop in my 900.

If you connect it to the alternator it will give you the alternators output but this does not represent your batteries voltage, You would think its all one wire and should read the same but they dont.

You can use the ACC wire or any other positive wire in the dash, a normal voltage gauge only drains 10 milliamps, not the digital ones though, thats nothing and i mean nothing, like a little LED bulb.
Where are you putting these gauges? in your stereo slot?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I would remove the speaker grill & T off from the line to the present boost gauge, no point running the line all the way into the engine compartment unless you have LPT, even then I would go to the overboost pressure switch.

You won't overload the dash light circuit with a few extra low wattage bulbs, so the feed to the dash light illumination will be fine.

I don't think volt drop will effect the voltmeter that much, after all they're not that accurate, just an indicator, so yes any ignition feed behind the dash will do.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The gauge i got used a plumbed copper line with a threaded 1 inch probe on the end, i think maybe the electrinic kind would work on the original rad sensor?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
john-w said:
I would remove the speaker grill & T off from the line to the present boost gauge, no point running the line all the way into the engine compartment unless you have LPT, even then I would go to the overboost pressure switch.

You won't overload the dash light circuit with a few extra low wattage bulbs, so the feed to the dash light illumination will be fine.

I don't think volt drop will effect the voltmeter that much, after all they're not that accurate, just an indicator, so yes any ignition feed behind the dash will do.
Fitting some guages myself, so this is a handy post!

Where can I find a feed for dash light illumination? Will it be controlled by the pot on the dash?

Other question - I have acquired a "Yazaki" (tm) oil pressure guage and sender - will the sender screw straight into the block? what thread is the oil pressure sender for the light?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Come on guys!

Somebody must have done this!

Had a rummage around yesterday - I think I will take power from the green dash lighting wire (looks straightforward in Bentley) but I suspect this won't be controlled by the pot, I think I would have to solder onto the instrument cluster for this.

Also, how did people get the vacuum pipe/cabling through the dash? Have tried squeezing it between the dash and A-pillar trim and it's not really going to work. Drill a hole in the base of the A-pillar trim?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts