SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. My problems are described pretty well in the link below on the 9-3 forum. My car is a 2006 9-5.

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6404662#post6404662

My car went back to the shop for the second time this afternoon. I relayed a few more details on the 93 posting that I made to the thread linked above.

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Edit: copied below is my post made to the link above:

Reviving this thread. I’m having the same issue or similar with intermittent cluster gauge needles drop to zero on my 06 9-5. This problem is coupled with an intermittent no start condition. I’ve disconnected MAF and it fired up. The problem of no start then repeated itself. I’ve now had it towed back to the shop. The shop is a good one but does not have a tech II. The Shop couldn’t replicate the problem on the first go around. So this will be round two at the shop. The shop is a good one but does not have a tech II. I’ll probably try to re-post this on the 95 forum but thought I’d put the question out to you guys as well. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I was going to say it sounds like NIGHT PANEL is randomly turning on, but that wouldn't explain the intermittent no start condition. Perhaps the two issues are unrelated. Any updates on this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy. I operated the night panel switch and dimmer a number of times to see if there was any apparent relationship to the problem. No sign of any.

The odd guage needle action started before the no start. Needles to zero while running (idling), then after about 15 seconds, cluster "comes to life."
In a subsequent interation, the car started, needles dropped, then engine stalled, no restart.

Then, like a CPS failure, the no start would convert to a start after resting (cooling off) only to fail again two days later.

I've asked the shop to put one of my spare CPS's in, just to rule out a bad CPS. Two of mine are official Bosch, one is "german" (a Wherle?).

Start there. But in past CPS failures, I didn't experience this odd total and sudden needle drop in the guage cluster.

I think you're likely right. Possible bad CPS coupled with a bad connection to the cluster or bad ground somewhere. Or cluster or ECM or some other black box failure.

I'll keep you informed as the troubleshooting phase progresses.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check ignition switch.

Good suggestion Mimmi. The switch has, in the past, worked well. It wasn't popping up when I bought it so I removed and cleaned the tumbler and cylinder and it's been flawless since.

Question: do you know if the ignition switch is connected electrically to the instrument cluster in a manner which could cause the entire cluster to "die" electrically?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Ignition switch makes +15 voltage which tex instrument cluster needs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apologies for the confusion. If your problem is that the cluster needles drop to zero randomly, then the solution is to replace the cluster with used. I got mine on eBay. Then you need to marry the new cluster to the car with a tech II. If your cluster needles are fine, but you have a periodic no start condition, then we can assist with that problem as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts