SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask what may amount to a dumb question, but wanted to see if anyone has seen this. I've been slowly, but surely, replacing shocks and springs on my 900 SE NG. I pulled the rear shocks off yesterday and saw where they had been replaced before. Whoever replaced them put a black gooey sealant or gasket material underneath the bushing in the trunk. Has anyone seen that before? Is that for water spray from the tires? Or squeaking? Should I repeat and add something there myself when I put in the new ones?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
It was probably a sealant to prevent water ingress. The thin metal part of the body where the rear shocks come through rusts out in areas that see a lot of rust, so it was probably a good idea to do that, and to do it again when you replace the shocks. I bet some good old RTV silicone would do fine. It doesn't have to be pretty or particularly accurate in that area. Just put a big glob all the way around the base of the lower rubber piece where it meets up with the body.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. I thought it was strange to have been in the trunk (under the upper bushing) if for water ingress, but maybe someone was in a hurry or maybe they though the sealant was less likely to wash away. Who knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts