SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so ive never put anything but the cheapest gas in my car ahah ... 87 octane .. so i was wondering can you actually feel a differecne in performance with 91. Im thinking about splurgin on a few litres ahahhahaha
im ghetto

·
Registered
804 Posts
Uhh ... that's a big yes. Almost every modern Saab ever made will perform better with 91 than with 87. Most of the time it's a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I can definaly tell that I get a much more responsibe boost patterns with higher octance. I actually run 93 too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The other day was the first time in almost 2 years that I put something other than 91-93 in, and that because it was at a rest stop and I had 10 miles DTE showing on the SID and their 93 was not working for some reason so I had to put 89 in. I was so upset about that and yes, I could feel the difference.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i've been using 87 for ever. then, a few days ago, i wanted to see if 89 was any better. i tried it, and i could feel a fair amount of difference and i get much better gas mileage. i use to get 410 to a tank, now i get about 480. as soon as i run it low, time for 93. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uhh might sound stupid .. is there 93 octane at canadian gas stations .. all ive ever noticed is 87 89 91

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
In the US there is generally 87, 89, and 93. And of course there is a sunoco down the road from me that sells 100 octane :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
DougR said:
In the US there is generally 87, 89, and 93. And of course there is a sunoco down the road from me that sells 100 octane :)
Except in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, and California. ;) (And probably some others.)

Most of the western US has 91 octane as the standard "premium", though there are stations in every state which sell 100 octane for a pretty penny, even in California. :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Adrian W said:
Except in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, and California. ;) (And probably some others.)

Most of the western US has 91 octane as the standard "premium", though there are stations in every state which sell 100 octane for a pretty penny, even in California. :)
maybe i never took notice when I was in rental cars and putting in 87 anyway, but every state I have driven to in the NE US at least has had 93.

·
Registered
543 Posts
UK Question

Question for UK people. Do you prefer BP Ultima or Shell Optimax?

I would say my car runs noticibly smoother and quicker on the Shell or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Tesco 97RON super unleaded for me now :cheesy: 6bhp up on the car running on shell optimax [both RR verified]

·
Registered
543 Posts
ragtopcav said:
Tesco 97RON super unleaded for me now :cheesy: 6bhp up on the car running on shell optimax [both RR verified]
Oooh, I didn't know they did super! I'll give it a try, it's prob cheaper too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
DougR said:
100 octane!!! that is inzane. i would love that, but i bet that cost like 50 cents per gal. oh well, it would be worth it. and could you put octane booster into that, which would make it like almost 110 octane?!?!?! that would be great.
:cool:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Oh man can I tell a difference. Night and day! I usually get better mileage w/ regular though. Still, I get around 30 with premium so who cares?

If you don't want to shell (no pun intended) out for 100 octane, try adding half a bottle (approximately 8 oz.) of Berryman B-12 Chemtool. It's one of those carb/injector cleaners but it REALLY WORKS and really seems to up the octane. It has toluene in it, which is recognized as an octane enhancer. I used to think it and Seafoam were the same thing, but as far as I can tell, Seafoam is more expensive and has no toluene.

Plus, it'll clean everything out while you run it!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
So there are a lot of people on this board running turbo engines with regular fuel(87)? I know you can do it, but I have never heard of people regularly doing it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts