SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's $3.30/gallon for super here in NJ. I know it's not as bad as some parts of the country but still quite a big jump over the past few days. Would it be ok for my 02'Aero to run on regular gas for a while?

·
Registered
160 Posts
chico_85 said:
It's $3.30/gallon for super here in NJ. I know it's not as bad as some parts of the county but still quite a big jump over the past few days. Would it be ok for my 02'Aero to run on regular gas for a while?
The south east is in a crisis. the gas stations that have gas (growing smaller every hour) has prices around $3.50 a gallon for regular unleaded. that more than a dollar more than three days before.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
You'll find no sympathy here, do you have any idea what those Brits pay for gas, it's insane. If you're really strapped for cash, which I doubt you are but we'll pretend for a moment, I wouldn't go any lower than mid grade. My mechanic always says "i wouldn't put regular in my lawn mower." And the LPT specs AON 90 octane, the aero should have 93.

Now Saab says you can put whatever in there and the computer will automatically adjust to it by reducing boost and ignition timing, aka power. So in theory you could put regular in there and it'll be fine, but I still wouldn't.

Since it's only 20 cents per gallon more I'm still buying premium, and since the price is getting so high, you really aren't saving as much as you used to by using premium.....percentage wise that is.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Gas prices in Europe are high because of taxes. If they want lower gas prices, all they have to do is scream at their politicians.

Here in the States, there is a crisis going on with prices as high as $6/gallon in some areas. This is not because our government is taxing the hell out of it, its because Bush just gave Millions of dollars to oil companies who are reporting record profits! :evil: That and a bunch of oil refineries have been shut down.

As much as I hate paying high prices for gas, I love my Saab too much to give her anything but Premium.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
chico_85 said:
It's $3.30/gallon for super here in NJ. I know it's not as bad as some parts of the county but still quite a big jump over the past few days. Would it be ok for my 02'Aero to run on regular gas for a while?
NO!! Absolutely not. If you love your car, then don't give it regular. Yesterday, I was with a friend at a gas station and I saw a 9-3ss aero fill up with regular. What a horrible sight, though I could tell he wasn't too happy filling with regular due to the look on his face. He was really hesitant, you can tell.

My friend also filled with reg in his rsx and you could tell the difference. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. :cry:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Prices are insane. Premium used to be like $1.70 here suddenly its $3.10! But I can't deal with the pain of giving my car reg, besides regular gasoline exhaust smells like trash and the smell of premium gasoline exhaust is nice! Smells of performance!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have put 87 in my 2001 aero and it actually gets much better gas mileage than with 93. I go from 24 to 28.

Power is down slightly, but on the highway it really doesn't matter all that much.

I believe the ECU can handle the lower octane just fine. Plus, if you can only get 87, then that's what you got to use!

·
Registered
87 Posts
heres the way I figure it:

Premium is, what, 30 cents more per gallon? Figure you put 17 gallons in, that equals $5.10 per 400-450 miles of driving. Thats just over 1 cent per mile. Plus, if your like me, you can find that in the cup holder.

Here in Wyoming we are still pretty cheap, its only 2.83 a gallon. Except I remember when I turned 16, it was only $1.59 per gallon.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I always give it the medium grade. That's the gas that you guys use right?
and i used regular gas once since i got it, because i was in Canada, on my way to school, and all i had a was a 20 dollar bill, Canadian, and i just got regular gas with that.

~Mike

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
mfong said:
I always give it the medium grade. That's the gas that you guys use right?
and i used regular gas once since i got it, because i was in Canada, on my way to school, and all i had a was a 20 dollar bill, Canadian, and i just got regular gas with that.

~Mike
Nope, strictly premium only. At least that's what I do.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
aero1116 said:
NO!! Absolutely not. If you love your car, then don't give it regular. Yesterday, I was with a friend at a gas station and I saw a 9-3ss aero fill up with regular. What a horrible sight, though I could tell he wasn't too happy filling with regular due to the look on his face. He was really hesitant, you can tell.

My friend also filled with reg in his rsx and you could tell the difference. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. :cry:
I can't believe you just stood by and watched!!! Friends don't let friends fill up on regular :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
I dont feel the need to venture into why our fuel prices are so high here in the UK, but just to give you an example of what we pay

1 litre (1000ml) £0.97 $1.51
1 US Gallon (3.7854l) £3.66 $5.69
1 Imperial Gallon (4.5460l) £4.40 $6.84

This is at an exchange rate of 1.55

This is for 'Premium' Shell optimax what I use and it is 98 RON

Lucky you!:roll:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Its only the Aero derivative that SAAB recommend you use premium, so Mike you're fine with regular. You can put regular in the Aero and the engine management will compensate, however... you may find a small decrease in power and in increase in fuel consumption that will negate the saving of buying regular in the first place. Chris and myself only run premium on 2.0lpt engines because they are modified and its recommended by the tuners.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
joshd2012 said:
Gas prices in Europe are high because of taxes. If they want lower gas prices, all they have to do is scream at their politicians.
If only it were that simple.....:roll:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
erik said:
I dont feel the need to venture into why our fuel prices are so high here in the UK, but just to give you an example of what we pay

1 litre (1000ml) £0.97 $1.51
1 US Gallon (3.7854l) £3.66 $5.69
1 Imperial Gallon (4.5460l) £4.40 $6.84

This is at an exchange rate of 1.55

This is for 'Premium' Shell optimax what I use and it is 98 RON

Lucky you!:roll:
Yes, but more than half of that is taxes. Our prices are rising to discourage us from driving cause if we keep going like business as usual there won't be enough to go around. The labor day weekend makes it even worse as millions more than usual will be driving this weekend. We're in big trouble right now, but no one is admitting it.

I really want a gas tax in this country so that all those god damn SUV will disappear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Premium only as well.

As a former SUV driver, I dont mind the higer price of the premium, since I dont fill up as often. I figure I am still saving $100 +/- a month since the Saab.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where in the U.S. is gas $6/gallon? I have put in 87 in my 1999 9-5 and it seems to run pretty well.

joshd2012 said:

Here in the States, there is a crisis going on with prices as high as $6/gallon in some areas. This is not because our government is taxing the hell out of it, its because Bush just gave Millions of dollars to oil companies who are reporting record profits! :evil: That and a bunch of oil refineries have been shut down.

As much as I hate paying high prices for gas, I love my Saab too much to give her anything but Premium.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Kermit said:
Its only the Aero derivative that SAAB recommend you use premium, so Mike you're fine with regular. You can put regular in the Aero and the engine management will compensate, however... you may find a small decrease in power and in increase in fuel consumption that will negate the saving of buying regular in the first place. Chris and myself only run premium on 2.0lpt engines because they are modified and its recommended by the tuners.
so... if i fill with medium grade, it's fine right? i don't have to fill with the highest?

~Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.