SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Saab four months ago and everything seems to be running Ok except I noticed my engine light went on yesterday and gas neddle is behaving erratically? The gas cap seems to be Ok (well, no visible damage). Should I go with this one immediately to the dealer?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Opatije

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If the Cel code is P0445 or such. Could simply mean your gas cap will be replaced under warranty (10 yrs fr in Serv). If your in factory or CPO warranty...the fuel sender/pump unit is another issue...could be covered... try search.

·
Banned
631 Posts
gas cap would not cause his needle to act oddly. the sending unit i can believe. I would get the code scanned and come back to the forum for more help. coming to us with nothing is a shot in the dark. But im gonna go with sending unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much appreciated guys...will get the code scanned this week. The neddle simply "died". I know I have at least half tank and it went to the bottom and the "tank" light showed up :roll:

Thx Opatije

·
Banned
631 Posts
i know on heavy duty equipment. When this happens it means the "float" has messed up. Giving an inaccurate reading.

But when you get the code scanned come back let us know so we can help you =]

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The Sender/Pump/Filter unit is a known issue on the 03 SS. Many of us have had them replaced over the last few years, it's so commn some have been replaced OOW under goodwill, but then that's dealer dependant.

And obviously the gas cap is a different issue, A TSB puts them under Warranty for 10 tears from the In service date.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So went to the local Auto Parts store and got the diagnostic code of the system.

It says P0411 Secondary Air Injection System / Incorrect Air Detected

It appears this may not be sending unit after all? Any ideas?

Thank You Opatije

·
Banned
631 Posts
air pump, air valve, air hoses. im not too familiar with them but

There's an air injection pump that injects air into the cylinder behind the exhaust valve via a passage in the cyl. head. It's to heat up the catalytic conv. quickly. On a cold startup the PCM activates the secondary air pump. P0411 sets if the O2 sensors don't see a large enough change from the injected air signifying a blockage in the combination valve (or a broken vacuum hose to the comb. valve would not allow the valve to be actuated open, thereby causing the PCM to think that there was a blockage, when in fact the valve is okay, it's just not opening)
Verify the combination valve opens when you apply vacuum and it's not restricted by any carbon, etc.

but unfortunately... i cant really help you any further

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Worst case Scenario, Condensation in SAI pump, needs replacing. Next Scenario, Bsd Check Valve.

Search for SAI Pump or Secondary Air Injection, there are several threads. It's becoming more common as the 03's age.

But the Gas Guage issue is seperate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep...Thanks...

I'm also looking at replacing Check Valve myself. It seems like a good start.

Regards Opatije

1 - 12 of 12 Posts