SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I got a 2007 2.0T last year and my mom liked it so much she got an Aero when it came time to get a new car.

I've never had any problems with the gas mileage (I drive my 6 speed pretty hard and I get about 15-18 city 35-40 highway) on my car, and I noticed my mother complained about the mileage on her Aero. I took it out for a drive and reset the gas mileage meter. After driving around the town very gently, and then on the highway with no hard acceleration I was average around 9 mpg in town and 20 or so highway. I know she uses 93 octane, so I was wondering if there could be a problem? Saab estimates 18 city, 28 highway with the 2007 Aero automatic--not a dreaded 17 or so combined. 250 miles per tank isn't particularly good.

·
Registered
885 Posts
jags86 said:
Hi everyone,

So I got a 2007 2.0T last year and my mom liked it so much she got an Aero when it came time to get a new car.

I've never had any problems with the gas mileage (I drive my 6 speed pretty hard and I get about 15-18 city 35-40 highway) on my car, and I noticed my mother complained about the mileage on her Aero. I took it out for a drive and reset the gas mileage meter. After driving around the town very gently, and then on the highway with no hard acceleration I was average around 9 mpg in town and 20 or so highway. I know she uses 93 octane, so I was wondering if there could be a problem? Saab estimates 18 city, 28 highway with the 2007 Aero automatic--not a dreaded 17 or so combined. 250 miles per tank isn't particularly good.
No need to use 93 in the V6 Aero. 90 is what's recommended.

I get 15-18 city, and 20-25 Highway on my '06 Aero CV (manual) - ending up with 300-350Mi on a tank of mostly city, some hwy miles, closer to 400 on pure hiway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The aero seems to suck a lot more gas than the 2.0T -- even more than the guidelines would indicate.

However your numbers sound low; I am averaging about 18.5 with a mix of city/highway of about 70/30 (i.e. mostly city) -- that's way lower than what I got in the ecotec 4, but higher than your mother.

Also, realize it's winter (less efficient winter fuel mixture and car will run a richer mixture when cold). I expect my average to go up by 1-2 or so when spring/summer rolls about.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I haven't checked strictly around town but 15-17 mpg should be attainable.

Hwy I get between 25 and 28.5 mpg all based on how fast you go. If you set the cruise at 65 mph you could probably get over 30 mpg. Cruise at 85 mph it will go down to 25 mpg.

And nobody is getting 40 mpg for any length of time. You'd have to set the cruise at 45-50 mph, or wherever the torque converter locks up, and leave it.

Where could you do this safely?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
melovesha,

Where we live, all they sell is 87, 89, 93, and rarely 94, so 93 it is.

Everyone,

I guess maybe because there are lots of hills where we live and most of her driving is not highway driving, thats why she gets horrible mileage. Oh well. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
jags86 said:
I guess maybe because there are lots of hills where we live and most of her driving is not highway driving, thats why she gets horrible mileage. Oh well. Thanks for the responses
Lots of short trips is also a problem because the car doesn't warm up.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again:

"Turbos suck gas".

If you're on it all the time, and the engine is under boost, you are NOT going to get good gas mileage with a turbo. Car and Driver magazine agrees with me.

If you baby it, and ensure that the engine is NOT under boost, you can get some amazing mileage. As good as an unboosted 2.0 4 cylinder (or small 6, as the case may be).

Every time I let my wife drive my 2.0T, I'm amazed at what the SID says the mileage is after she brings it home. She has a HEAVY foot, evidently.

We all know the potential of these cars if you drive on the highway and set the cruise at a relatively low speed. That's because the engine isn't under boost.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You got 35-40 mpg on highway? How did you do it?

My 2003 2.0t gets no more than 33mpg cruising down the highway.

jags86 said:
Hi everyone,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've actually found that I get the best mileage at around 80 mph. I get around 40 with cruise set there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My turbo is constantly on, even if I barely push the pedal down. Does everyone else's do this on a 2.0T?

If that's the case, then the turbo is ALWAYS on, no if and or buts....

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Mine's always at the 3rd bar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You've got to be pretty frickin' light on the gas to keep the turbo bar below half. You can't get up to highway speeds without the boost kicking in on the 2.0T.

I've been experimenting the last couple days. I think the best way to go about it is to stay in 4th or 5th gear between about 50 and 70 mph on the high way if traffic is heavy and you will be slowing down and speeding up a lot. As opposed to conventional wisdom--I don't think up shifting quickly and using as much engine power as possible is the way to go in these cars. Flooring it at 2000 RPMs doesn't seem to do much for gas mileage. It seems better to keep the RPMs between 3000-4000 in 3rd gear + for acceleration.

On a side note about the gearing of the car--its ridiculously different from my previous car. I had a 5 speed '93 325is BMW prior to the Saab. Its 5th gear was the same as the Saab's 4th gear (3000 RPMs at 60 mph). As you can imagine its been a slight adjustment getting used to pretty much 2 additional gears.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In top gear in my car (5-speed manual 2.0T 2006) you can't get below 30 mpg. 35 is most common.

In winter urban driving, with some highway, I have been doing 23-25 mpg. This is very bad compared to summer mileage, which is 3-5 mpg better than that.

Still, this car is very frugal for its comfort and speed level.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts